Jeep Commander Forum banner

Rough Country 2" lift, lateral noise.

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Mongo 
#1 ·
Hello all, new Commander owner, but not new to vehicles. I've done some searching but I don't see any threads about my particular issue. I have an 06 Commander with a 2" Rough Country lift installed by the PO. It has a clunking noise that comes from lateral movement. A good example is pulling into a driveway at an angle and the Jeep starts rocking left and right as it settles. I've crawled under and everything appears tight, but I did notice the driverside rear spring appears to be installed incorrectly. It's my understanding the the end of the coil is meant to point forwards correct(I hope that makes sense)? Would this cause clunking?

#2 ·
In case anyone ever searches this issue, the problem was the track bar. Replaced it and it is good to go. Probably need to buy a adjustable one since the my axle looks to be off around an inch.

Reactions: RedLeg827
#3 · (Edited)
I have the 2 inch rough country lift kit as well and I also had it in my previous vehicle which was a 2008 Grand Cherokee.

Both Grand Cherokees & Commanders seem to have the common problem of the front upper differential bushing wearing quicker than the rest of the suspension components.

With the 2 inch rough country lift kit installed, if the front upper differential bushing is worn, you will have some slop along with some miscellaneous creeking when turning/cornering.

Obviously that wasn't your issue, but, it is another potential source of suspension creeking/noise with a lift kit installed.

#4 ·
Latteral motion, is cornering, shifting side to side. It almost sounds like you're talking about rocking, or rolling, side to side as you drive up an incline, one wheel before the other.

The rear suspension is a 5 link, 4 links and a panhard rod. Also called a track bar.

So there are 3 possibilities:
The Track Bar, which seems to be your problem.
The Front Diff mounting bushings, a common one.
The Sway Bar mounting bushings, another common one.

The track bar is non-adjustable, and it is set at length that will center the axle at stock ride height. Since you've raised the stock ride height, that has pulled the axle off its center slightly. Yes, an adjustable track bar would allow you to change the length and re-center the axle at the new ride height. Most good lift kits will come with an adjustable or proper length track bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.