Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a Rough Country lift yesterday. $158.22 shipped to my door! I promise I'll take some pics in process (and figure out how to post them). I have to clean out my garage so I can fit the Jeep in as it's still in the 20's up here.

The front spacers look just like the R.R., but the rears are steel spacers that drop the spring mount and bumpstop down.

Has anyone else here installed one? Is there anything I should watch out for?

·
Registered
444 Posts
What is the overall lift advertised to be for this kit?

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Is the Rough Country lift the "rock crawler 3 inch" lift?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The link to the site is http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_commander_2.html

It's supposedly a 2" lift, but the install will tell. I noticed in the install guide (available online), they're saying 265/70/17's will fit, but I wonder about clearance issues. The pick of the commander even has the same rims I have with what look like 265/70's mounted.

I just got the UPS track info, should be in tomorrow. It will this weekend's project if I don't have to work.

·
Registered
735 Posts
that lift looks nice for a 2 inch i wonder if the ride will be stiffer since they are not rubber bushings as the other lifts. does any one have this lift? and how is the drive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ride should be about the same as stock, as it's not preloading the spring(much), just dropping it down. I would think the steel mount would be more durable than a poly spacer as well.

Only installation and driving will tell!

·
Registered
735 Posts
thats what i figured b.c the rid with the spacers is very bouncey. you hit a bump and you fell like your going on a roller coaster ride. lol but that looks like it may be alot more durable and also a lot stiffer of a ride. there for alot better ride quality then the regular poly spacer lifts.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I can't wait to see the finished install. Looking in to the price of shipping very soon, because I want a set.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I should have started a new thread on this, but I don't want to clutter things up:

Does anyone have the full alignment specs for the commander? Has anyone had castor problems with spacer lifts?

I'm going to take the Jeep to work and throw it on the rack after the lift, but the computer is only updated with heavy commercial chassis in the database (we build buses).

This will actually be my first lift install, though I've lowered, hydro'd and bagged quite a few vehicles. Lifted or lowered, nothing can ride stock!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have the alignment specs at home - I'll try to post them tonight after work.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It arrived via UPS today, will be installing this weekend. Pics to follow.

Conveniently, our alignment rack people showed up today to calibrate and re-certify. I had them update the passenger vehicle database while they were here and I now have the specs!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lift arrived, pretty much as described. Both the front and rear spacers measure 1-3/4" almost on the button. Is this comparable to the other spacers on the market? Can't wait to install, was thinking of pulling an all-nighter and doing it right away. Have to wait for the weekend... if I have one!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
That looks like a good kit. Can you take a couple close-up pics of the rear spacers for me and post them?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't put a tape on the diameter, sorry.

And one of the Front

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
thank you!

·
Registered
401 Posts
So it appears that the front spacers will utilize the existing bolts from the top of the stock strut assembly. If so, your installation will be much easier (since you won't have to remove the stock bolts from the strut plate) although it just adds 8 more bolts to check later...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts