Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im planning on ordering my lift and wheel spacers next week...i was originally going to get the spider trax 1.5" spacers but i see that rough country has 1.5" spacers for the JK 5x5 pattern (should bolt up right?)....any one else try these?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
hey guys im planning on ordering my lift and wheel spacers next week...i was originally going to get the spider trax 1.5" spacers but i see that rough country has 1.5" spacers for the JK 5x5 pattern (should bolt up right?)....any one else try these?
Are they hub centric? The only reason I ask is because Spidertrax makes hub centric spacers, which should probably be your first priority. The load will be on the hub instead of the lugs.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the kicker...they are not hub centric...thats kinda why i was a lil eary about them....they are half the price on the spider trax but i think ill wait and get the spider trax i havent been able to find a definate reveiw on the RC spacers...

·
Registered
480 Posts
I might be selling my spacers in a few days, no idea how much they cost to ship though.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
its ok i broke down about 5 minutes ago and ordered the spidertrax spacers from quadratec
Good choice. Personally, I'd avoid the any spacers that are not hub centric. I think it's really important to keep the load on the hub where it belongs and not on the lugs, especially when you're dealing with spacers.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Good choice.
Just make sure you torque them down to the proper specs.
Theres nothing worse then driving 55 mph down the highway and seeing one of your tires fly by you because it wasnt torqued down properly and the studs snapped off.

·
Registered
391 Posts
What is the proper torque for the spidertrax? Tnx.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The proper torque should come in the paperwork with them if not it should be easy to find either on the spidertrax website or by giving thema call...(I dont have these yet thats why I say this)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i called rough country this morning to get a tracking number on my lift..and while i was chatting with them i asked if the spacers are hubcentric he said no..and he said rough country DOES NOT recommend this item for on road use what so ever!!

props to them for telling me..

i also called quadratec for a tracking number on my spacers and i was very pleased to hear that i ordered them last night around 5:00pm and they were shipped first thing this morning

if you want spider trax spacers GO TO QUADRATEC

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hub-centric

Just so everyone is clear. "Hub-centric" refers to the way the spacer centers itself to the hub. It has nothing to do with where the weight of the wheel is carried. "Hub-centric" fit means the spacer (or wheel) is made to fit snuggly and exactly to the center of the hub, as opposed to having a larger center hole and just a matching bolt pattern. Referred to as "lug-centric". Worst case, just matching the bolt patterns and relying on the conical seat bolts to even your wheel out can bend the lugs if not properly installed. Best case, your wheels will be slightly off center and will feel out of true and balance. If you go with spacers that are not hub-centric, they make hub-centric adapter rings for nearly all makes out there, thanks to the after-market wheel community. It is highly recommended that you use these together. Enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
15,101 Posts
Just so everyone is clear. "Hub-centric" refers to the way the spacer centers itself to the hub. It has nothing to do with where the weight of the wheel is carried. "Hub-centric" fit means the spacer (or wheel) is made to fit snuggly and exactly to the center of the hub, as opposed to having a larger center hole and just a matching bolt pattern. Referred to as "lug-centric". Worst case, just matching the bolt patterns and relying on the conical seat bolts to even your wheel out can bend the lugs if not properly installed. Best case, your wheels will be slightly off center and will feel out of true and balance. If you go with spacers that are not hub-centric, they make hub-centric adapter rings for nearly all makes out there, thanks to the after-market wheel community. It is highly recommended that you use these together. Enjoy.
The last post in this thread was over a year ago and you just pop in with your first post on the Forum with this post ? No mention of your Commander ?

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rough Country Wheel Spacer Is Garbage

To Whom May Fall Victim:

****WARNING****

These things are so bad I do not know where to begin. Well, just to show that I am not just biased because of the horrible experience that I have had with these cheap pieces of garbage, I guess I'll start with the only good things about them. The billet aluminum 1.5" spacer body is pretty nice and sturdy, and they are very cheap. If you paid more than $40.00 a pair, you got ripped.

Now then, I put them on with no real big problems. That is other than the fact that the well hole that holds the lug nuts to mount the spacers to the wheels are very small. You really have to use a very thin walled socket to get them on. And, forget about using any regular sized lug nuts there. The supremely cheap lug nuts that came with the spacers are the only ones I can see fitting in those tiny wells.

Then, after just one tire rotation, I noticed the immeasurably cheap lug bolts on the spacers stripping out. Then I noticed that the imbeciles that made these spacers had used the wrong size of lug bolt. The threads on the lug bolts do not even go all the way to the bottom, or to the base (body) of the spacer. So, when you put lug nuts on these spacer lug bolts with thinner steal rims, the spacer lug bolts (which are the wrong size for the spacer) strip out the first quarter of an inch of your lug nuts. Then, your lug nuts, in turn, strip out the spacer lug bolts, when you remove them. It's like some kind of horrible chain reaction of destruction caused by extremely cheap manufacturing and little, or no, quality checks. They really are horribly manufactured. I cannot see that anything was measured, or checked for proper fit by the manufacturer prior to mass marketing.

Thank you Rough Country for costing me hours of bolt replacement. Luckily my Gorilla Stainless Steel Lug Nuts are backed by a lifetime warranty against anything stripping them out. Even your trashy, wrong sized wheel spacer lug bolts.

Sincerely,

bajafreak

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know this is an old post, but there are conflicting data.

When I was getting ready to get my lift from RC, I asked about thier spacers. They are hub centric, but the hub bore is a different size between the JK and XK.

...just thought I'd throw that out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like reviving old threads, plus this one comes up near the to in search results.

I just spoke with rough country in person and they assured me that their wheel spacers are hub centric for the jk.

I bought two pairs from jc whitney for the cost of one pair obriannef spidertrax. Seems like a no brainer. Got them in the mail and they look hub centric.

Just put on the daystar lift and some hankook dynapros (265/70s).

Getting an alignment in twenty minutes then I'm coming home to put the spacers on. I'm confident it will look great and ride fine.

The bottom line with any aftermarket accessory is that the detail and care put into installing out is going to make or break the product. Pictures and my first impressions to come later...

·
Super Moderator
15,101 Posts
I just spoke with rough country in person and they assured me that their wheel spacers are hub centric for the jk.
That's good except the Commander is an XK not a JK. May be the same though. Personally, I wouldn't buy any wheel spacers that are cheaper than the Spidertrax. Remember, you get what you pay for...just sayin'. Hope they work out OK for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
They have the same hub. spidertrax sells the same spacer for both models and they are hub centric. Same exact part. I mistyped earlier.

I do agree that you get what you pay for-luckily I paid enough for solid aluminum spacers with 5 lugs. If you insist on paying more to have yours anodized blue- so be it.

This entire discussion was a bit silly- I just wanted to clear things up for future searchers.

I haven't put the spacers on yet though because they will add to my barely noticeable rub at full lock. This weekend when I have time to modify the pinch weld I will.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts