Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
08 commander limited 5.7 quadtrac 2
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 commander with the 5.7
Having issue where once the car is at operating temp and idling, the rpm every so often will dip down and the car feels like it wants to stall, then it'll rise up to like 1200 to catch itself before leveling back off at 700ish.
Sometimes when I'm driving on the highway or in town and I give it gas it has great response, throttle, and other times I'll hit the gas and it won't pickup almost like it's clogged and don't wanna open up until I engage the kickdown. But even still, it still lacks the power that it normally does.
I've replaced all the spark plugs recently which brought some life back to the car, but hasn't resolved the issue.
The other day I was going around a turn at a stop sign, the car wouldnt even accelerate around the turn, but once I straightened the wheel it took off like a bat out of hell and scared the crap out of me.

I've Been chasing these 02 sensor codes for awhile now to no avail.
I'll post them, some screen data, and a link to my video I took of it running in real time from when she was idling last night and acting up.
Could be related or unrelated?
I also have a cold air intake on her and im wondering if thats causing the o2 sensor lean codes?

Green Font Technology Screenshot Electronic device

Font Screenshot Parallel Circle Multimedia

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts
Having issue where once the car is at operating temp and idling, the rpm every so often will dip down and the car feels like it wants to stall, then it'll rise up to like 1200 to catch itself before leveling back off at 700ish.
Sometimes when I'm driving on the highway or in town and I give it gas it has great response, throttle, and other times I'll hit the gas and it won't pickup almost like it's clogged and don't wanna open up until I engage the kickdown. But even still, it still lacks the power that it normally does.
I've replaced all the spark plugs recently which brought some life back to the car, but hasn't resolved the issue.
The other day I was going around a turn at a stop sign, the car wouldnt even accelerate around the turn, but once I straightened the wheel it took off like a bat out of hell and scared the crap out of me.

I'll post them, some screen data, and a link to my video I took of it running in real time from when she was idling last night and acting up.
I also have a cold air intake on her and im wondering if thats causing the o2 sensor lean codes?

View attachment 45160
View attachment 45159
@Kiliker30

I'd recommend digging a little deeper into those DTC's here:

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts

View attachment 45160
View attachment 45159
Did you try cleaning the throttle body?

· Registered
2006 Commander Limited 4.7 130,000 miles
96 Posts
I usually start out by checking for a vacuum leak, spraying starting fluid around hoses and top of intake manifold. If there is a leak the engine will increase rpms when spray hits leak. So many times this has found the problem for me. A good starting point anyway.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I usually start out by checking for a vacuum leak, spraying starting fluid around hoses and top of intake manifold. If there is a leak the engine will increase rpms when spray hits leak. So many times this has found the problem for me. A good starting point anyway.
That's a good idea, ill try that and see if I find anything. This would only work for things pre-throttlebody though right? I think the codes are pointing to post throttle body/ pre-cat.
But I don't hurt to try it at the cost of a can of starter fluid.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little update.
I sprayed the hell out of the engine with starter fluid. No leaks found anywhere.
Checked the cats, not glowing red.
Maybe they are half clogged? Don't know for sure.
I'm gonna be getting 2 new o2 sensors for the upstream and change those out and go from there. Will update again after that's done.

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
A little update.
I sprayed the hell out of the engine with starter fluid. No leaks found anywhere.
Checked the cats, not glowing red.
Maybe they are half clogged? Don't know for sure.
I'm gonna be getting 2 new o2 sensors for the upstream and change those out and go from there. Will update again after that's done.
Be sure to get Mopar O2 sensors.
Commanders are notoriously picky about brands of O2 sensors

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be sure to get Mopar O2 sensors.
Commanders are notoriously picky about brands of O2 sensors
The 2 downstream are ntks and seem to be working fine for the moment the upstream I think are original mopar but won't know until I pull them but I'm taking a guess because the downstream ones were mopar that I replaced. I'm doing it myself so worst case I'll just get all new mopars but for 60$ a piece I'm gonna take my chances with the ntks first lol

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
The 2 downstream are ntks and seem to be working fine for the moment the upstream I think are original mopar but won't know until I pull them but I'm taking a guess because the downstream ones were mopar that I replaced. I'm doing it myself so worst case I'll just get all new mopars but for 60$ a piece I'm gonna take my chances with the ntks first lol
I replaced my two upstream with NTKs, and get unexpected heater performance codes.
I plan on doing the "master reset" once the temps get above single digits and some of the snow melts.
If that doesn't clear it, the out with the NTK, in with Mopar.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I replaced my two upstream with NTKs, and get unexpected heater performance codes.
I plan on doing the "master reset" once the temps get above single digits and some of the snow melts.
If that doesn't clear it, the out with the NTK, in with Mopar.
So far I get 50/50 input on ntks some say they work great some say they cause issues. Can't really tell if their cars had other issues already or if it was the sensors, but ill definitely be putting in the mopars if this doesn't fix the issue and then I can at least rule that out. I'm feeling confident this will clear the code issue though just from what I read from that article Bigblue posted.
When I watch the sensors on torque the upstream sensor and downstream sensor agree and that's suppose to be a sign the upstream sensor has failed.

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
So far I get 50/50 input on ntks some say they work great some say they cause issues. Can't really tell if their cars had other issues already or if it was the sensors, but ill definitely be putting in the mopars if this doesn't fix the issue and then I can at least rule that out. I'm feeling confident this will clear the code issue though just from what I read from that article Bigblue posted.
When I watch the sensors on torque the upstream sensor and downstream sensor agree and that's suppose to be a sign the upstream sensor has failed.
My original code was for a failed O2 2/1. Service Manual said to replace the pair, so I did with NTK.
So now I get "unexpected heater performance O2 1/1 or 2/1
So if the master reset doesn't fix it, I'll replace with Mopar come spring.

· Registered
2008 Commander Limited 5.7 QT2
44 Posts
Just be careful as the downstream sensors are really only cat monitors and don't affect trims like the upstreams do. I do suspect you have some wonky upstream sensors.

Reactions: Kiliker30

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts
I preach this to people all the time;

You should always get MOPAR OEM replacement parts whenever possible, the time & aggravation you'll save, is well worth the extra money.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Replaced the passanger side upstream o2 sensor today and the code has come back on within 23 miles of driving it. I'm gonna take it into the shop and see if the manifold and exhaust has a leak, if not I'm gonna be buying all 4 new mopar sensors and starting from scratch bangs head on wall it never ends.
I just hope it's not the cats...

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also wanna add I replaced the camshaft sensor with a new mopar one just to rule that out for the fluctuating idle problem. Didn't fix it... Probably will replace the crank sensor at some point soon to rule that out as well/preventative maintenance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts