Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried posting a vid but I couldn't get it to work. I have the 3.7L 2007 commander.

Anyways, the problem I'm talking about is my RPMs surge. They'll drop while in idle to below 500 RPMs and jump up to around 2000 RPMs. Sometimes it stalls sometimes it doesn't.

Any advice in the matter??? I'm thinking I gota clean out the throttle body but want to make sure. Thx in advance for the help.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd remove and clean the idle air control valve (IAC) while spraying and cleaning the TB. I'd also put a can of chevron fuel system cleaner in the tank. It's supposed to be the only fuel additive that has a chemical to clean the fuel injecters and pump. The iac is attached to the side of the tb by torx screws, and has a electrical connector.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the advice. I thought it could be the IAC also but read somewhere that they stopped the IAC in the 2007 model and everything was controlled in the throttle body. Ill check it out though and hopefully the problem gets resolved.

Thx again!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I believe drive by wire started in 2008. Replace the TPS. Cheap and easy, solved the problem for me when I had it.

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was thinking from my personal experience with the 4.7, which did change in 2008. Hemi was the only one in 2006.

For the OP, the 3.7 went DBW in 2007.

Sorry for my mixup.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: cleaned the throttle body and threw in some fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank an the problem still persist.

Because it is a drive by wire and I can't simply replace the TPS I'm guessing replacing the throttle body itself is what I have to do??? I'm considering replacing the throttle body because from what ive read and the research I've done whenever there is a problem like this people/information suggests that the TPS is faulty. That piece will get replaced and the problem will be fixed.

Any suggestions??? I feel like I'm on te right path here to fix the problem but if anyone has anymore input I'd like to hear it even just for educational services.

Thx.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts