Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installed the RR 2" but i wanna put bigger tires on stock wheels. gonna get the firestone a/t's i think cause i can get them cheap...anyone know what the biggest size i can run with min. rubbing.i know the stock wheels dont have much back spacing but wanna keep it cheap...i just want to keep factory wheels so i can keep the tire sensors...any one know of a good size?

·
Registered
19 Posts
goodyear 255/75/17. I just put them on with my stock wheels and there great tires and cheap. I got them for $120 a tire. You also have to put on wheel spacers to clear any larger tire than stock because of the front strut. I will have a pic of my jeep up soon

·
Registered
127 Posts
i just want to keep factory wheels so i can keep the tire sensors...any one know of a good size?
Most aftermarket wheels are made to accept your factory air sensors. They simply install thru the valve stem opening.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you use the Firestones, or the Revo's, they have a rounder shape than the Goodyear and can get bigger size with no issues. I have the Revo's and I have 255/70/17 on the stock rim with no back spacers and never any rubbing. That is .5" wider and 1.5" taller tires. the only issue is with a 2" lift and these tires, it looks completely stock and from factory, good if you are like me, bad if you want people to see you have done something.
Some unwanted advise, if you are already looking at the Firestones, spend $30 more per tire to get the Revo 2' as they are similar but a better, more advanced tire

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Take a look at this sticky thread for some good information to help you make your decision.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393

I have a 2 inch lift and 255/75/17's but there is not what I would call minimal rubbing. You might want to go with 255/70/17's. I put on 1.5 inch Sypdertrax wheel spacers which mount on your wheel lugs before you put your wheels on, then you mount your wheels to the spacers. This was needed to miss the bolt on the front ball joints.

There is also a sticky thread in this same section 'Wheels / Tires' about wheel spacers. Mine cost about $200 for 4 spacers.

Edit: P.S. If you get 255/70/17's you most likely will not need wheel spacers.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
255/70/17s will be your best bet with no wheel spacers. Here's a pic of how they look...

·
Registered
5 Posts
255/70/17s will be your best bet with no wheel spacers. Here's a pic of how they look...

Was that picture before or after the 2" lift? I would assume after because it looks level - but wanted to know for sure. I thought the gap above the rear tire would be larger with a rear lift as well...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts