Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I know some have experienced issues with the rear spaces failing on the RR lift.

Is it possible that the rear poly spacers can be installed on top of the spring as opposed to the bottom?

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It's always boggled me that the RR spacer (not sure if others are the same way) kit has you install it on the bottom. Any other spacer lift I have done on either my own vehicles or on friend's have always been spacer on TOP of coil. Strange, but alas, I can't really answer your question. Not sure if there's some unforeseen reason that they put it on the bottom or not.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I have a Rusty's kit and the offroad shop that installed it put it on top.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RR Spacers can be installed on TOP of SPRING!

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that the RR rear spacers can be installed on TOP of the rear spring. My offroad shop just did it today and it works fine!

Just wanted to pass this along!!

Thanks..

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
If possible, unless the spacer is interfering with the bottoming snubber, [upper spring seat] I would recommend installing it on the top for the following reasons:
1. By having it on top it becomes Sprung weight as opposed to Unsprung.
2. When on the axle side of the spring, the spacer experiences extreme pressure moments with every bump, and I contend that shock moment is what is leading to first, fractures, and ultimatly, collapse.
3. When it is top mounted, the spring is reducing the shock moment and turning it into nothing more than a momentary pressure [load] moment.

However, the manufacturer has determined bottom mounting would be satisfactory, so, you must realize you are using yourself as a test monkey.
Don't expect them to be very sympathetic if your modification leads to damage to your vehicle.
I would be more inclined to recommend a different brand lift that utilizes the above rear spring spacer.

My $.02.........Rob

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
But the instructions say to mount them on the bottom so why would the manufacture not be sympathetic? You followed their directions and it failed.
That is what robby is saying, IF you do not follow the instructions which say mount on bottom, and choose to mount on top instead, then why would the (lift) manufacture be sympathetic? You failed to follow instructions, not the manufacture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts