Jeep Commander Forum banner

RRO 2.25 lift. Confussed

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sporty92 
#1 ·
So I installed the lift. Front end is a nightmare but looks good when done. Now I'm lost. Not much on here touches on wheels. Ask discount tire but they are no help to say the least lol. My wife wants 17x9. Can I go to a 17x9. If so what backspacing as to not have rubbing issues. Also can I go with 265/70. She wants mud tires even though we don't go offroad. All this is very confusing. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The stickied threads for this part of the forum are helpful for this. According to this one (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/26-wheels-tires/8575-new-wheels-here-calculators-you-need.html) The stock wheel is a 17x7.5" wheel with 6.5" of backspacing and 47.3mm of offset. Since most people who run 265/70/r17 (you can run them) on the stock wheel use a 1.25" or a 1.5" spacer, your new wheel should have between 5.25" and 5" of backspacing to have the same fitment. According to (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums...ere-read-thread-faqs-tires-lifts-spacers.html) you'll need to perform the pinch weld mod in order to fit the larger tires without rubbing. There are good threads out there on how to do that. Just search the forum and one should pop up. I don't think the 17x9 will be an issue as long as your mud tires will fit a rim that large. I'd double check with someone's who's mounted larger tires, as I just know what I've learned from reading. Congrats on finishing that lift.

#3 ·
Excellent response!

ALso I have 18x9's with 255/70r18's (craigslist find, came together, price was right) on 2.5" front lift I forget my backspacing... its probably in one of my old threads. I had to beat the pinchweld. Keep in mind your speedo will be off, and traction control might try to intervene more often until you get a tuner to let the computer know thatyou have bigger tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.