Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run it in anything? I've read that there are ways to bypass some of the more difficult (ie, vehicle destroying/damaging) obstacles and I'm wondering if that is the case. I'd like to get up there, just to say I did it, but I'd like to have the option of NOT destroying my vehicle if possible. Just curious as to who has done it and what they think.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have run the Rubicon trail. At the time my TJ had 33" tires, fully skidplated underneath with minimum 3/16" thick steel and fully rocker panel protected. I suffered very little damage but I did ruin a left rear wheel bearing on my brand new Super 44 chrom/moly rear axle and one dent in the body. There are hard and harder paths on the trail but believe me there are NO EASY PATHS anywhere. Its a grueling 22 miles of constant obstacles with a break at Rubicon Springs. The second half IS WORSE. Jeep in front of me rolled and two Grand Cherokees with large lifts and 33" tires suffered significant body damage. I would very much advise against taking your Commander up there if its as you have indicated in your signature. john
ps: I also had hard lockers front and rear

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its as I described in the sig. Not too far from stock. Now, I read somewhere on one of the Rubicon Trail sites that there is a guide that will take people through with their stock 4x4s without suffering much damage - I was just curious as to whether that was even possible. Thanks for the info, maybe I'll wait a few years before I go down that road.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Perhaps thats possible with a stock wrangler BUT not with the grand or commander. technically you can always rock stack but there are so many places that are off camber and converging boulders I cant imagin any large SUV getting through unscathed on anything less then 33" tires and including rocker panel guards of HEAVY STEEL not cosmetic types. john

1 - 4 of 4 Posts