Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just completed putting 2013 Wrangler Rubicon wheels on my Commander.

The tires are 255/75r17, the right rear was the spare with rubber spikes still on top of the tread. My commander is stock, no spacers, no lifts. There is no rubbing on pavement, but clearance is close and I would expect larger bumps or suspension articulating to rub the inner fenders. If you're doing that you would probably want a lift for other reasons.

I don't have any rubbing on the front upper ball joint or at full steering lock, again on normal roads/pavement. Your mileage may vary.

I'm excited to have the Jeep look like a Jeep.

Here's the original Overland chrome 18" wheels:

I have a bunch of other pics of wheel comparison and clearance. Let me know if you have any questions.

GO HAWKS!

PS The larger tire WILL NOT fit in the stock spare location. I need a solution to that, removing the hitch may work.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Lookin' good! Are you plannin' on doin a lift?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice, it would look even better with a small lift! Give it some more aggressiveness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it doesn't have any rubbing problems on the street right now and I don't have the money for a proper lift (rr-2.5), so I'll leave it as is for the moment. It does look a little weird with the tires tucked up so tight.

With the increased noise, I'll probably end up going back to LT/SUV tires when these wear out. Can't wait until the first snow, this truck with these tires will be a beast.

The difference between the old worn tires (almost, not quite bald) and the new ones were just over 3".

The stock were 57.4 lbs. and the new 71.8. That wasn't as much difference as I expected.

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Looks good! Not sure how you don't have rubbing when you turn your steering wheel though lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK a little rubbing...

Well, after having some more time to drive around and more than 1 person in the vehicle, there is a little rubbing. Not much, but the new tire (right rear that was the spare) does rub the plastic inner fender. As the left side doesn't at all, I think 1 or 2 16ths wear makes a difference. There is the smallest possible rub at the front inner corner that could be solved by a spacer, but the rear liner is mostly flat across the rub and only a lift would eliminate the rubbing. I think it would be fairly easy to bend the plastic out the 1/4 inch or so necessary to eliminate the interference. Also the right rear has the 3rd row heat and A/C lines which could be contributing to closer tolerances.

The back edge of the front tires will rub the inner metal frame shield. It really only happens with more weight than the driver and under full to almost full steering lock. Given the contact patch, only wheel spacers (not a lift) would move the tire out enough to eliminate this rub. Also, as the Wrangler tires are 255 series wide, I think 245 series wouldn't have a problem. Funny how the OEM size is 245 almost like they know something...

Measuring the spare location and I don't see how anything 31" or larger will fit. I'll see how much I need to uninflate the spare to get it to fit. I could remove some of the back side of the hitch receiver, but it would at most gain 1" and there are mounting bolts that would need to be trimmed.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you add wheel spacers to your current setup it's going to make it rub even worse. Not fix the rubbing issues. Trust me. You need lift!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts