Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any advantages to running rubicon wheels except the look of them? Liike are they off set more so you don't have to run spacers or fit bigger tires?

thanks

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I believe the offset is identical or almost identical to the XK wheels. My Rubicon rims don't stick out more/less than my factory rims. You do have to run spacers with '07-on' 17" Rubicon wheels. There is a ridge running around the rim just inside the spokes that will not clear the brake calipers on the XK/WK's without at least a 1" spacer. Otherwise, they work great. I love how they look and it's nice having a second set of wheels/tires for summer use.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
KMAX,

What brand and size tires are you running in that picture?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Those are '09 Rubicon take-offs sans TPMS. They're the BFG Mud Terrains in 255/75/17's that I got with about 50 miles on them. They ended up being exactly the same height as my 20,000 mile BFG All Terrains (265/70/17's). I liked them for a recent trip up Red Elephant Hill near Idaho Springs, CO, but they're not so good in snow, so they're already stacked back in the garage.

·
Registered
401 Posts
...and the mystery creature on the right side of your picture? (nice jeep by the way)

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
...and the mystery creature on the right side of your picture? (nice jeep by the way)
I think it is a chupacabra.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I am running the rubicon rims on my XK and they appear to be the same offset as stock, I am using the 1.5" spacer

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
That mystery creature would be Dillon, my extreme Vizsla. He loves Jeeping almost as much as I do. He also really likes the Rubicon wheels.

My brother and I went up to Bill Moore Lake back in July to find some snow for Dillon to play in. The tennis ball didn't have a chance...

Not so extreme moment...

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
49er - when you installed the Rubi wheels, did they fit tight over the hub flange in the center of the spacer? I couldn't get mine on by hand - I had to start the lug nuts and then the wheels popped right on. For a worried moment, I thought the center hole in the wheels was actually too small for the spacer. I didn't see that with my factory wheels last year when I first installed the spacers. Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Mine slipped right on.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ken - nice pics - especially of your son and your dogs!

The Jeep isn't so bad either :)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Kmax, it looks like Dillon has better 4x4 traction than most of us. Nice pics of the dogs with your son too.......Jerry

·
Registered
953 Posts
Those are '09 Rubicon take-offs sans TPMS.

Why didn't you get a set of TPMS's? You can get a set of 4 used from eBay for ~$90 or less. Actually, if you are patient and lucky, you can find new ones for that price like I did. ;)

BTW, love the pics. :)

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Thanks! I'm sure the TPMS units were kept by the previous owner for his new wheels. I've thought about getting new TPMS units but I guess I don't care enough to spend the money. I run my tires around 28-30psi on the street so the system is always griping at me anyway. Plus, I bought the Rubicon rims/tires for the off-roading during the warmer months and with only one trip to test them out so far, I've already beat them up a little. I don't want to shear a TPMS valve stem on the trail. A standard rubber stem is at least a little more able to take a rock hit than the rigid TPMS stem, and easier to trail-replace if it does shear. So that's my rationalization!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
And it's a fact that it would look nicer with one of your winch bumpers on it. I'm working on it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts