Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered parts to install amp, new cd deck, and subs. I was wondering were should I run the power wire thru the firewall? Also where should I run the RCA jacks? I haven't really started looking around Jeep for what the best route would be. Any suggestions or pictures would be great. I have stock 06 3.7L. Thanks

·
Registered
809 Posts
I put a couple power wires through the firewall with the main wire-harness bundle, right by the steering column. Wrapped everything in shrink tubing and followed the factory wires all the way to the battery. I'd post a picture, but it looks so OEM that you couldn't see the wires anyways!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I too am looking for some suggestions on this topic. I'd like to run a small amp and sub without any major modifications Is there any room under any of the seats? Can anyone post pics of their installs. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I too am looking for some suggestions on this topic. I'd like to run a small amp and sub without any major modifications Is there any room under any of the seats? Can anyone post pics of their installs. Thanks in advance.
Other than the front two seats, there isn't much room for electronics stowage. I attached a pic of the space under the second row, where I added a NAV module.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2913&d=1257577008
Like I said, not much room. But if you don't have rear A/C there is copious space inside the rear trim by the driver's side 3rd row- just pop out the cracker caddy and peek inside! I ran my wires from the firewall, under the door trim, and up through this space. I would think it would make a nice home for a small amp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Im finnaly finished and I ended up running amp wire thru firewall on passengers side. I ran both the power wire and aux cords down passenger side below the kick steps. I ended up with 2 12" square subs with a 1200 watt amp mounted on back of box. I lost alot of room in back cause I didnt want to take out 3rd row. I went with a Alpine iDA-X303 and it works great with Iphone (yea who uses CD's any more). I original bought a wire harness from ebay for $8 but little did I know that would not work because CAN-bus. So I ended buying PAC C2R-CHY4 radio replacement interface for $100 (as shown). I also had to purchase antena adapter for $10. I was not hard to install at all, radio turns on and off just like factory, didnt get back up radio turn off working cause I was running out of daylight but will work on it shortly.

I will post more pictures tomorrow when its light out. Im very happy with set-up but just not happy about the 100 dollar wire harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just ordered up my gear. I was able to find the PAC C2R-CHY4 for $80 online. Can you post some pictures of your box and amp? I'm still debating if I want to add a sub and lose space in the back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pictures of deck..

Pros: I can play and Charge Iphone yep charge it
It automatically sinc's with Iphone or Ipod
Lots of features

Cons: Cant select songs on Iphone, have to search with deck
Didnt fit with my dash plate as shown

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I am planning in the near future to run a 15' length of 4 ga wire from battery\ fuse into the firewall and underneath seats with a distribution block for powering 2 amps.

I wondered if anyone had tried this on a 2005 or similar Tribute yet?
My experience with 4 ga wiring in the past is that it can be very challenging to get through a firewall opening, depending on the vehicle.

I am looking for a clean install running along the driver side plastic channel where the carpet meets the bottom of the door threshold, or down the middle column between the seats.
My goal is to keep the power as far away from the RCA signal cables as possible to reduce interference noise and alternator whine.

Any Thoughs?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nice heep.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nice man. Any reason you decided to point the subs up instead of facing the rear?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pictures of deck..

Pros: I can play and Charge Iphone yep charge it
It automatically sinc's with Iphone or Ipod
Lots of features

Cons: Cant select songs on Iphone, have to search with deck
Didnt fit with my dash plate as shown
Hey guys, this is my first post as i am the new owner of an 07 commander rocky mountain ed. just picked it up on tuesday, bought a kenwood excelon KDC-X794 (plays/charges iPhone). also used the C2R-CHY4 harness and works good.

so just a suggestion to heep, in the dash kit you got there should be a thin piece that connects above the deck, and then the lower piece has the rounded parts that will fill those spaces in the dash, also remove your faceplate surround that comes w/ the deck. once you put the dash back on it should cover the whole thing around your deck. check it out if you still have the pieces to your dash kit. i'll try to post a pic of mine later today.

I also have one question, how did you guys wire up your speakers w/ the C2R-CHY4? I have "some" sound coming from the rear speakers but it's very soft and since you cant control the fader through the aftermarket deck you cant make the rears any louder. any suggestions? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
43 Posts
With the C2R-CHY4 the fader doesn't work anymore on aftermarket headunits. I believe the instructions even point that out. As for the wiring, I don't recall doing anything special. When I get home tonight I can take a look at the instructions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah, jman, i realize that the fader doesnt work w/ the aftermarket HU, i'm just wondering why the rear speakers sound so quiet. thanks for the reply tho!

·
Registered
43 Posts
jabregoUSMC: could this be your problem? My headunit did not have a dedicated remote wire, therefore, I used the remote antenna output.

11 pin plug (to CAN INTERFACE):
Blue/White - Connect this wire to the radio’s amplifier remote output. Connect this wire with or without OEM amp present!

·
Registered
12 Posts
i'm pretty sure mine does have a remote wire and have the blue/white on the 11 pin plug wired to it. i'll double check, but if this was the case would i even get ANY sound from any of the speakers? thanks for ur help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts