Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I got the CRD commander.. and just wondering because its turbo.. they dont need a turbo timer or anything? for people that have the diesel.. do yous let the turbo cool down before shutting off or is there something in the vehicle that cools it down automatically?

Thanks.

James.

·
Registered
527 Posts
jayt04 said:
Hey all,

I got the CRD commander.. and just wondering because its turbo.. they dont need a turbo timer or anything? for people that have the diesel.. do yous let the turbo cool down before shutting off or is there something in the vehicle that cools it down automatically?

Thanks.

James.
The Commander is my first non-turbo car in over 20 years. Back in the day, before turbo's were oil and water cooled, and you only had oil circulating to cool the turbo, it was always a good idea to let it idle for a minute or two before driving when cold, and after driving to let it cool down. That was a habit I never got out of, even when the cars started having waterjackets around the turbos. As a result, with 5 cars and 20 years, I never had a turbo failure, even went over 400K on an early 80's Saab.

Dont have any idea on the Merc. turbo units, but I dont see how letting i idle for a minute after hard or fast driving will hurt. Just make sure you use the recommended oil, change at 3-5K miles max, and let warm up before you get into the throttle too much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The owners handbook for The CRD lists recommended time down periods depending on the way the vehicle has been driven before stopping.

Can't put my hand on my book at the moment but when I do I'll post again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts