Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey bros, long time no talk...
Been running my boys ice hockey team and havent had much time to get here.
Anyway, after a nice little break from winter this past weekend, i decided to give the jeep a good handwash when i noticed rust creeping up from the plastic rocker guard, on both sides just in front of the rear tires! I do not mind mechanical failures, always repairable. But rust?
Im going to remove the black plastic early spring to see the damage and hopefully have it cut out.
Anyone else have this going on?

·
Administrator
6,212 Posts
No, no rust here - even underneath mine there is very little.

That was one thing I checked for pretty thoroughly when I bought her and I make a very assertive effort to keep her clean - normally when I am home and driving her daily, she gets cleaned at least once a day - the only exception would be if it's raining all day - and even then, if it stops raining while I'm awake, I will towel dry all of the standing water off of her.

I even clean the engine and inside the engine compartment every couple of weeks - and underneath the chassis maybe once a month or so.

I'm O.C.D. big time, so, it's just a habit at this point....I don't really think much about it, I just do it....LOL.

All that being said, I haven't heard of many XK owners complaining about rust.....water leaks, yes.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill tell you, the way they throw salt around these parts during winter, im surprised it hadn't surfaced sooner. Im also the one who goes underneath with the hose and applys sealers and waxes to all the hidden hard to reach areas.
Theres surface rust underneath but nothing to be too concerned about. A couple years ago went under and sprayed with black Rustoleum Rust preventer to slow down the inevitable.

·
Administrator
6,212 Posts
Ill tell you, the way they throw salt around these parts during winter, im surprised it hadn't surfaced sooner. Im also the one who goes underneath with the hose and applys sealers and waxes to all the hidden hard to reach areas.
Theres surface rust underneath but nothing to be too concerned about. A couple years ago went under and sprayed with black Rustoleum Rust preventer to slow down the inevitable.
I was going to ask you if they salt the roads where you are....I just noticed you are in PA, so, the rust issue makes a little more sense now.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Always...the slightest hint of snow and the road crews are throwing it down heavy.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
POR-15, it's pricey but worth it. The stuff is a lot better than spray on stuff because you're only spraying over active rust. The POR-15 chemically changes the rust permanently and creates a barrier. If oxygen can touch it, it's gonna rust. That damn road salt is just vicious.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
POR-15, it's pricey but worth it. The stuff is a lot better than spray on stuff because you're only spraying over active rust. The POR-15 chemically changes the rust permanently and creates a barrier. If oxygen can touch it, it's gonna rust. That damn road salt is just vicious.
Ill look for this product and treat the rust underneath. Thank You.
But gonna have the rocker rust cut out and repaired. Have a good body gut who likes to barter for plumbing work.

Reactions: RickTheMick
1 - 10 of 10 Posts