Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, long time no see!
I pulled the plastic rockers off because rust was creeping up and of course found the underneath full of it! Would love to find some type of slip on cover and pitch the plastic...but my bodyman says it would be easier to clean up the rust and put the covers back on. Has anyone removed these and fit some type of metal down low and are satisfied with the look enough to pitch the plastic? Not sure how to move forward. All suggestions welcomed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
Wow! That rust is bad! You're going to have to take care of the rust whether you put the plastic back on or not. If you don't the rust will keep getting worse. Yes, there are metal rock sliders made for the Commander. Rough Country makes them as well as Steel Armadillo. They also make supersliders.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Guys, long time no see!
I pulled the plastic rockers off because rust was creeping up and of course found the underneath full of it! Would love to find some type of slip on cover and pitch the plastic...but my bodyman says it would be easier to clean up the rust and put the covers back on. Has anyone removed these and fit some type of metal down low and are satisfied with the look enough to pitch the plastic? Not sure how to move forward. All suggestions welcomed.
Since you asked for suggestions on how to move forward.
I will offer up my suggestions.
You really need to cut those rockers out and replace them. Don't try to patch it up. Especially if you have loved one's riding in your car. That will become a huge safety issue. If it's not already.
"RUST NEVER SLEEPS"
Those are beyond saving.
Your car has no frame. Rocker panels provide structural integrity to the center section of the car. Your car will start to sag in the middle and the roof will buckle. But more importantly,if you get hit in the front or the rear.They are designed as part of the crumple zone.
It won't be a very cheap job. But you can put the proper coating on the inside so they won't rust out again. I would definitely have a first-class body shop do the work, if you plan on keeping the car any length of time.
After it's all done. Put your rocker moldings back on your car. It will look better.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't realize how critical they are. I have a guy looking at it. I want it all cut out and new metal in place.
Our winters are full of snow ice and road salt...anyone in snowy regions need to remove their plastic guards and take a good look. I'll keep you posted on progress after we get back from Emerald Isle! Leaving Saturday morning. Can't wait

·
Registered
141 Posts
Im tuned in, i know mine must be going bad based on what i see creeping around the plastic, and what I see creeping around the pinch welds behind the front tires. Michigan winters are VERY salty.
Curious about the cost.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By removing the plastic covers you will most likely break some if not all of the of the insert tabs on topside....you can pry the top and use a small screw driver to assist without breaking but they 'll still loose form. The bottom are easy

·
Registered
554 Posts
As much as I b**ch and complain about the weather I'll probably never leave the mountains here. But thanks for the offer!

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
By removing the plastic covers you will most likely break some if not all of the of the insert tabs on topside....you can pry the top and use a small screw driver to assist without breaking but they 'll still loose form. The bottom are easy
This was the collateral damage from when I replaced mine;

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep...I ruined most of mine also....gonna use another method to install the plastic guards later...still waiting on my body man to do the job.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still trying to find someone who will make rockers for this...found a guy but he wants me to send him the measurements, which is way outside my comfort zone. Has anyone had any luck purchasing or prefabricating metal for this?

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a body man working on the Commander...he found a 07 in the scrap yard with the engine removed, so the yard is parting out everything. The rockers are clean.. The yard cut them off....charging $125 per side....great deal. I'll get them welded on, sprayed and treated inside and out and the plastic reinstalled. Since most of the plastic hardwares broken off, I suggested to drill the plastic and use heavy plastic push pins. It's covered by the door anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
I have a body man working on the Commander...he found a 07 in the scrap yard with the engine removed, so the yard is parting out everything. The rockers are clean.. The yard cut them off....charging $125 per side....great deal. I'll get them welded on, sprayed and treated inside and out and the plastic reinstalled. Since most of the plastic hardwares broken off, I suggested to drill the plastic and use heavy plastic push pins. It's covered by the door anyway.
That's pretty amazing. I didn't have any rust at all when I removed my factory door sills/rock sliders, the metal was underneath was dirty & dusty obviously - but once I cleaned the dirt & dust off, the paint & metal underneath was clean & rust free. I just pulled the plastic tabs out that had broken off and replaced the factory OEM door sills/rock sliders with a new set.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hmmm...couldnt you treat it, paint it, and install 4x or steel armadillo rock sliders for same $$ and same strength?

You can weld new ones in but you'll never get paint/primer on the welds inside. The rust will come back...

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Hmmm...couldnt you treat it, paint it, and install 4x or steel armadillo rock sliders for same $$ and same strength?

You can weld new ones in but you'll never get paint/primer on the welds inside. The rust will come back...
I suppose that could be done. I've always heard over the years, that the best way to deal with rust, that is more than just surface rust, is to cut it out so it can't spread - just like cancer.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did have the option of putting steel down there...until these clean rockers came about. Wish I could do this myself, probably would've install some sort of steel rock rail or something, but obviously I'm not a welder.
Looking forward to getting this back soon, my son's been depressed without his wheels. Hopefully next week. I'll send some pics soon

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
I did have the option of putting steel down there...until these clean rockers came about. Wish I could do this myself, probably would've install some sort of steel rock rail or something, but obviously I'm not a welder.
Looking forward to getting this back soon, my son's been depressed without his wheels. Hopefully next week. I'll send some pics soon
I didn't realize this was your son's XK; pretty cool @rhobll.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep...I passed it on to him...we were looking at 05 to 10 GC for him two years ago...junior year highschool. He had 3 grand saved up.I figured why even waste our time. What are you gonna get for that. Asked if he wanted the Commander for 3 g's. He's always loved this jeep. I'm hoping it'll get him through college. I'm always going over it when he comes home. He keeps it clean, inside and out, so Im assuming he's not abusing it. I love the fact that he's in a good, sturdy, safe surefooted vehicle, not to mention its always been reliable. He helps with all the maintenance and repairs and is getting comfortable around the tool box, which is good.
I bought a new Durango in 17. Could not go without 7 seats and most definately had to keep my choice of vehicle in the Mopar family. It's great when the family goes camping...we load up our rigs, he takes the bikes and extra coolers, I got the rooftop unit and rear cargo carrier...plenty of storage and space now.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Yep...I passed it on to him...we were looking at 05 to 10 GC for him two years ago...junior year highschool. He had 3 grand saved up.I figured why even waste our time. What are you gonna get for that. Asked if he wanted the Commander for 3 g's. He's always loved this jeep. I'm hoping it'll get him through college. I'm always going over it when he comes home. He keeps it clean, inside and out, so Im assuming he's not abusing it. I love the fact that he's in a good, sturdy, safe surefooted vehicle, not to mention its always been reliable. He helps with all the maintenance and repairs and is getting comfortable around the tool box, which is good.
I bought a new Durango in 17. Could not go without 7 seats and most definately had to keep my choice of vehicle in the Mopar family. It's great when the family goes camping...we load up our rigs, he takes the bikes and extra coolers, I got the rooftop unit and rear cargo carrier...plenty of storage and space now.
That's awesome; Did you ever get a pic of the vehicles together on a camping trip?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No...I wish I would have. Will do so the next trip. It's nice to have them photos.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts