Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New Guy Again,

The Dealership wants me to purchase a Rustproof package, Is it worth it since I think it has 100000 mile corrision warranty?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Where do you live? For example, vehicles in the Northeast often could use all the rust protection they can get, whereas in the dry Southwest your vehicle won't rust quickly at all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If rustproofing is important to you, do a lil research and have it done outside the dealership - no need to pay them a huge markup.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I agree, probably the most beneficial aspect of rustproofing today is additional soundproofing, many times the installation involves drilling access holes in your car....causing a potential rust problem in itself. You are better off putting the money towards a service contract.-43:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Rustproofing, as well as VIN etching, is just a way for the dealership to make money. Yes, rustproofing is a GREAT thing if you live where they salt the roads, or if you live on the east or west coast beachside. But for the rest of us, it's not an issue. And if it is an issue, you can get it cheaper on the open market. However, some people don't have the money to do that, so they roll it in the payments. Just remember, you'll end up financing that $1000 and could end up paying 3 times the value of that rustproofing doing it that way.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
penguin said:
Rustproofing, as well as VIN etching, is just a way for the dealership to make money. Yes, rustproofing is a GREAT thing if you live where they salt the roads, or if you live on the east or west coast beachside. But for the rest of us, it's not an issue. And if it is an issue, you can get it cheaper on the open market. However, some people don't have the money to do that, so they roll it in the payments. Just remember, you'll end up financing that $1000 and could end up paying 3 times the value of that rustproofing doing it that way.
Glad you mentioned window etching. Law enforcement will not use the 800 numbers that dealers etch onto your vehicle. Law enforcement will however etch your VIN number for free and that is the number we use to identify the vehicle anyway.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
Glad you mentioned window etching. Law enforcement will not use the 800 numbers that dealers etch onto your vehicle. Law enforcement will however etch your VIN number for free and that is the number we use to identify the vehicle anyway.
Have you ever seen those numbers that are etched in the glass? I have been told they were there but couldnt see them.

They use those etched numbers for repo's too I am told. If they can't read the vin number on the dash, the repo man can't take the car. So if it is etched into the window, does that get around it? I don't know if this is true or not, call out the myth busters!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sounds like the perfect solution would be to put a dashcover matt on and make sure the VIN doesn't appear there, as well as not get VIN etching done to your glass. Secondly, why etch it on the glass... if it's all shattered, there's no way to put together the puzzle LOL.

In regards to rustproofing...why bother? Not many folks feel like the vehicle is sturdy enough nor safe to drive by then....so screw with rustproofing, unless you intend to make some sort of sedimental sake in keeping your ride for a LONG LONG time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
cico7 said:
They use those etched numbers for repo's too I am told. If they can't read the vin number on the dash, the repo man can't take the car. So if it is etched into the window, does that get around it? I don't know if this is true or not, call out the myth busters!
I used to be a repo man here in La (prior to the self-help law getting enacted). I never had a hard time finding the VIN and never had one covered. I did have one swapped! Our clients were Ford/Lincoln/Merc and Hyundai. I had this guy with a fairly new Navigator (pearl white) who also worked at a shady body shop in the 9th Ward. I went and identified the vehicle at his house (he even had the front plate that had his and his girlfriends name on it) so I knew it was my recovery. However, the VIN was different. Went to his shop...low and behold there was a wrecked Navigator sitting in the yard...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts