Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What options are there besides the Rusty's shocks for the Rusty's lift. Do they replace the front or the rear shocks?

Are there Mopar or Superlift shocks that would work?

·
Registered
79 Posts
On both the Rusty's and the Rocky Road Lifts the rear shocks are replaced, on the RR the rear shocks are an option. The spacers used on the front don't change the extension/travel since the strut is a coil over and the entire unit is moved w/the spacer. Of course it would be better if the whole front was replaced to gain an additional 2+" of suspension, but not cost effective I guess. On the rear, a polyurathane spacer is used under the rear spring which then IMO over extends the OEM shock.

I have run the RR with and without the optional shock. IMO you definitely don't have enough extension to keep the rear wheels on the ground w/the OEM. The optional Deuscht Tech shocks on the RR are ok but I think could be better. I'm investigating Rancho's adjustable 9000 series now.

-mike

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I wish there were so Old Man Emu, Mopar, etc. shocks that would fit the back.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh, will 245/70/R17s fit on a stock ride height without a lift? Probably not?

I wonder if the Rustys shocks are any better.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also what is the model number for the Rancho adjustable ones? I don't see it listed in their catalogue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think the 245/70/17R would probably fit but I have not heard of anyone on the forum using this size, it is 1" larger in diameter. Probably it would be wise to do a test fit and really work your suspension just to make sure there is no rub. I would doubt it since it's only a 1/2" bump each direction. But better safe than sorry.

I don't know anything about Rusty's shock so I couldn't say. As far as the Rancho is concerned there are no specs out on the Commander. I plan on taking the Deutsch Tech shock off and measuring it and seeing if I can find a comparable match with a Rancho. I'll post my results.

-mike

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Let me know if there is a compatible one for the Commander.

How close are the Commander and Grand Cherokee suspension systems?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am just itching to put a 4 inch lift and K&N intake on the Hemi... just do not want to pour money into a vehicle that is so un-reliable that I am considering getting rid of after only 5 months :(

If the dealer service department could get EVERYTING corrected and I can go about 6 months with no issues I will start mods.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't believe there is any difference between the JC and the GC. They are supposed to be the same drivetrain/chassis. I think that the JC has a plusher ride but could that be because it weighs 400lbs more?

As far as the 4" lift is concerned Superlift is the only one that I know of and they are having issues with the ESP systems engaging. Suposedly they're working on it but it is being pooh poohed on right now. It basically requires that you turn it all off by pressing the button for 5 seconds each time you start it up. I also hate to not take advantage of this safety feature. I know AEV is using the Superlift but don't know if they're dealing with this or not. I saw a link on a post of an AEV Commander on Ebay you can Buy Now for $48k... not.

-mike

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RUT ROW said:
I don't believe there is any difference between the JC and the GC. They are supposed to be the same drivetrain/chassis. I think that the JC has a plusher ride but could that be because it weighs 400lbs more?
Fabtech has a 2.5" lift for the WK. They said they had never tried putting it on a Commander.

Interestingly enough, they replace the front springs but not the back.

http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/pdfs/06catalog/Jeep.pdf [page 9]

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bet that's a nice lift. Fabtech has always impressed me as a first rate product. Jeez, I wished I had been aware of this before I went w/RR. I'm sure they include a new shock for the rear don't you think? I really like the idea of having full extension in the front... oh well. Once I get the right shock in the rear along with a wheelset with 265/70R 17's (giving it a little wider stance) it's going to be really nice ride.

-mike

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish I knew if anyone had run the Fabtech lift before and if it did come with new rear shocks. I am not about to be the guinea pig on a $45,000 vehicle. :)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tried to send an email off to Fabtech but apparently the message was refused as their systems are blocking all Yahoo! addresses. :confused:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spoke with Fabtech and they say they haven't tested the Commander lift yet. :-(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts