Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got 07 - Need to modify for dogs

Sold my Landrover and got a new 07 V8 just last night! I am loving it so far.

I am in Search and Rescue and I chose Jeep mainly for that purpose. I have ton of gear and 2 large dogs which can get pretty smelly and wet at times. I used to have a 42 inch wire crate on top of a large tarp in the landrover but the hair and the wet smell was pretty bad. So I am thinking about laying a cargo mat in the back then put the crate on top of it. Or lay the mat, then put mesh or net between the front row and the back so that I don't need a crate in the back. I probably need to put some sort of net on the very back so that I can leave the back window open for more air flow.

Any active dog owners have any suggestions? How is your Commander working out for you and your pooch?

·
Registered
512 Posts
JasmineTX said:
Sold my Landrover and got a new 07 V8 just last night! I am loving it so far.

I am in Search and Rescue and I chose Jeep mainly for that purpose. I have ton of gear and 2 large dogs which can get pretty smelly and wet at times. I used to have a 42 inch wire crate on top of a large tarp in the landrover but the hair and the wet smell was pretty bad. So I am thinking about laying a cargo mat in the back then put the crate on top of it. Or lay the mat, then put mesh or net between the front row and the back so that I don't need a crate in the back. I probably need to put some sort of net on the very back so that I can leave the back window open for more air flow.

Any active dog owners have any suggestions? How is your Commander working out for you and your pooch?
Congrats on your new ride!We are involved with a Siberian Husky Rescue here in PA, and we own 4 dogs,3 Sibes and a lab/wippet mix.(or should I say they own us!).I am very interested in the '08 rear seat delete. We love our Commander, but after having a Grand Caravan nothing can compare for space and ease of operation.Getting the dogs in is the issue with us. The Commander has a high load floor (rear seats folded), and I am looking into removing them and installing the '08 filler.My dogs love riding in it and we love the Commander, just a little adjusting to it.-43:D

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
hide away ramps. or drop down stairs. That should help with getting dogs in and out. You could get Chrysler vans outfitted for wheel chair accesss that would kneel in the back and lower a ramp. No axle should they could get it to drop low.....Which brings me to a commercial I just saw for a drop/fold out ramp.....Are the dogs in crates when you put them ion the back? put small rollers on the crate and wheel them up.

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
JasmineTX said:
Or lay the mat, then put mesh or net between the front row and the back so that I don't need a crate in the back.
If you truly care about your dogs the kennel (crate) is the best option. Found this out when I dated a dog trainer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First, welcome to world of Commanders! You'll love it! I recently bought my Overland and also wanted to keep my dog to the back of the vehicle. I only have a Jack Russell, but he is high energy and I needed something to keep him safely in the back and keep his hair confined to one area. I purchased the Mopar Molded Cargo Liner and I found this dog bacckseat barrier in a skymall magazine on my way back from Cabo last week. I ordered it but it hasn't arrived yet, so I can let you know how it works when it does arrive. I think after shipping and tax, it cost me around $65. I had the backseat wire dog barrier but I was afraid that it would leave marks in the headliner of the vehicle so I stopped using it after one day. Personal choice...... Here's the link for the skymall pet barrier......

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102223240&c=10710

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the welcome and replies.

I did not realize how high the back is until this afternoon when I let my dogs jump up. We are going to have to either remove the back seats or eventually buy a ramp. My dogs are still young but I hate to let them jump on cement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I purchased the cargo mat and the pet barrier from Ebay....less than $200.00. Easily removes for cleaning or hauling gear.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We are very much into dogs, Search & Rescue, Tracking & Flyball. We have full size Labs. In our experience the solid plastic crates work best for the car. They keep everything containd and can be washed out very easy. With the rear climate control you can get the dogs enough air. You can easily take a hole saw and add 1" hole to the top of the crate if you want. As far as getting in and out, we just give ours a boost and help them down. Both handler and dog run into much more demanding terrain than the back of a jeep....

We have tried the netting and steel fence type barrier, not happy with either. Dog gets bored in the back and before you know it he's forcing his way up front (not all dogs, but some)...

Good Luck and welcome again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I take delivery of our Commander this weekend. We want to keep this for at least 15 years, so we are taking early precautions to get the most longevity out of it.

We have two small dogs (15lbs and 9lbs). I don't want them on the leather seats or bothering our son (due in 2 months) in his carseat. What devices do you use to keep the dogs in the rear compartment?

·
Registered
282 Posts
good question. i put my beagle in the back and when i go to pay for gas and come back to the car the stupid dog is in the front seats. i bought the weather tech cargo liner to keep the hair off the fold down seats. im contemplating buying one of those dollar sign shaped things on ebay that mount to the back of the second row.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I would suggest a rear cargo area cover (a blanket you don't mind getting dog hair on) and then a set of those bars like tripod mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I would say if you are travelin gwith smaller dogs that you should put them in a pet cargo container as they are less likely to become injuried if you are in an accident and they will not jump out when you open the doors.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts