Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I got my 2006 Commander 4WD LTD new off the lot 11 years ago. Wanted one from the first time I saw Jeep advertising them. It was and still is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. Everything is stock just like the day we picked it up from the dealership. After 11 years and 215k miles, I started having engine problems and my (now ex) mechanic told me the engine was shot and that I should get rid of it because he had never seen a Commander go over 200k miles. A second opinion from my local Jeep dealer revealed that I just needed to replace the O2 sensors. Everything runs fine now.

Mechanic issues aside, it did force the conversation/decision as to what I was going to do with this aging vehicle. I came across this site while Googling "jeep commander engine replacement" and it opened my eyes to a whole new possible life for my Commander. I could go out and spend $40k-$50k on a new vehicle, but I don't want a new vehicle. I want my Commander. Plus, that $50k new vehicle will depreciate by $10k the day I drive it off the lot and probably another $5k-7k/year in depreciation beyond that.

So, rather than spending $40k on a vehicle I don't want, I could allocate $10k-$15k for when I eventually need to replace the engine/transmission. I could take another $10k or so and do the upgrades I've seen all of you guys doing on this site and end up with a really bad a$$ vehicle. If someone can drive a '66 Corvette half a century after it was manufactured, I can surely drive my Commander another 10+ years.

So, I'm in and I'm really glad I found this site. I'm starting with the interior (trashed from raising 3 kids in that thing; ages 5, 2 and "not yet" when I got it - they are now 16, 12 and 11). It's going to be a slow process as I'm putting what I would have been paying as a new car payment into a savings account. Two thirds will go to a "strategic reserve" for the unavoidable major breakdowns/fixes (i.e. engine) the remaining third going into upgrades. I'll be sure to post in the appropriate forum as I make the upgrades. I'll post initial photos here once that feature becomes open to my account.

Regards,

Wayne

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, here's the "before" photos. Beat down from years of abuse by me and my squad of toddlers now teens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome to the forum Wayne. There is a nice mix of new XK owners and also the guys that have had theirs from the lot, like yourself. So you should be able to get answers to any questions you should have. This forum is an awesome resource that has saved me money already and probably talked me into spending a little more than I needed to. So start reading all of the stickies in each sub forum and ask away. Have fun, it is a Jeep; make it your own.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I work in the finance industry and I could not agree with you more. Now, I have a 2010 with 76k on the ODO but my intentions are to simply replace the engine and trans if and when needed prior to purchasing a new vehicle. This is as long as the frame is in good shape I'll continue to invest money into the XK. 5.7L HEMI's are a dime a dozen so getting a new one is very easy. Nice XK, glad to see someone else with a similar mindset.

11 years later there is no vehicle I like more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 5.7 just died on me after 189k. I too bought my Commander new and don't want to drive anything else. Brand new engine and transaxle and it drives as good as new. 250k warranty. Should outlast the body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
2006 Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadra-Drive II
15,857 Posts
My 5.7 just died on me after 189k. I too bought my Commander new and don't want to drive anything else. Brand new engine and transaxle and it drives as good as new. 250k warranty. Should outlast the body.

How did you get a 250,000 mile warranty?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent - what engine did you put in and what did it cost you? I feel like that day is coming soon for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,955 Posts
As the title says, I got my 2006 Commander 4WD LTD new off the lot 11 years ago. Wanted one from the first time I saw Jeep advertising them. It was and still is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. Everything is stock just like the day we picked it up from the dealership. After 11 years and 215k miles, I started having engine problems and my (now ex) mechanic told me the engine was shot and that I should get rid of it because he had never seen a Commander go over 200k miles. A second opinion from my local Jeep dealer revealed that I just needed to replace the O2 sensors. Everything runs fine now.

Mechanic issues aside, it did force the conversation/decision as to what I was going to do with this aging vehicle. I came across this site while Googling "jeep commander engine replacement" and it opened my eyes to a whole new possible life for my Commander. I could go out and spend $40k-$50k on a new vehicle, but I don't want a new vehicle. I want my Commander. Plus, that $50k new vehicle will depreciate by $10k the day I drive it off the lot and probably another $5k-7k/year in depreciation beyond that.

So, rather than spending $40k on a vehicle I don't want, I could allocate $10k-$15k for when I eventually need to replace the engine/transmission. I could take another $10k or so and do the upgrades I've seen all of you guys doing on this site and end up with a really bad a$$ vehicle. If someone can drive a '66 Corvette half a century after it was manufactured, I can surely drive my Commander another 10+ years.

So, I'm in and I'm really glad I found this site. I'm starting with the interior (trashed from raising 3 kids in that thing; ages 5, 2 and "not yet" when I got it - they are now 16, 12 and 11). It's going to be a slow process as I'm putting what I would have been paying as a new car payment into a savings account. Two thirds will go to a "strategic reserve" for the unavoidable major breakdowns/fixes (i.e. engine) the remaining third going into upgrades. I'll be sure to post in the appropriate forum as I make the upgrades. I'll post initial photos here once that feature becomes open to my account.

Regards,

Wayne
Welcome to the forum Wayne, I can relate to your passion and commitment.

I picked up my Commander on July 30th 2014 as the second owner, it had 62,000 miles on the odometer and it was completely bone stock.

Although our paths were much different - my intentions are basically the same as yours.

I have already done most of the upgrades I had planned - although I still have a few more on the horizon.

I now have about 86,000 miles on the odometer - and when the time comes (whenever that may be) I will replace the engine with a brand new one.

I like what my Commander has to offer - and I don't need anything more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How did you get a 250,000 mile warranty?

The warranty came with a 5 year 250,000 mile nationwide warranty from Jasper. I can take it anywhere to have fixed - not just the shop who installed it for me in Michigan. It cost me 5.5k for the whole job. They have been refining the shortcomings of the 5.7 Hemi over the years. The shop I used has never had one back on warranty. They do 50 engines a week - not all Hemi's. I am very happy with my decision to keep my Commander alive! If anyone needs a line on one, let me know.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So, about $5K for a new 5.7? I'm looking at buying a 2008 with 120k miles, so it's gamble. Hoping for a few years out of it.

Does it have 335hp or did they get the newer one with 357hp?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I work in the finance industry and I could not agree with you more. Now, I have a 2010 with 76k on the ODO but my intentions are to simply replace the engine and trans if and when needed prior to purchasing a new vehicle. This is as long as the frame is in good shape I'll continue to invest money into the XK. 5.7L HEMI's are a dime a dozen so getting a new one is very easy. Nice XK, glad to see someone else with a similar mindset.

11 years later there is no vehicle I like more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That thing looks awesome .. I really like the bumper and flag in the grill.. Probally the best looking commander I've seen yet

·
Super Moderator
6,955 Posts
Thank you, sir. Didn't I read somewhere on here that you are a Navy man?
Prior Navy Desert Storm Veteran and current U.S. Merchant Marine, currently on the front lines over here in the Pacific A.O.R. in the vicinity of Japan/Singapore - and not very far from Guam.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Prior Navy Desert Storm Veteran and current U.S. Merchant Marine, currently on the front lines over here in the Pacific A.O.R. in the vicinity of Japan/Singapore - and not very far from Guam.
You need to find a better neighborhood - I hear those nukes have a hell of a blast radius! Army vet myself - knocked around in Iraq & Afghanistan a bit.

Great looking rig! I've got a ways to go on mine but I have goals!

·
Super Moderator
6,955 Posts
You need to find a better neighborhood - I hear those nukes have a hell of a blast radius! Army vet myself - knocked around in Iraq & Afghanistan a bit.

Great looking rig! I've got a ways to go on mine but I have goals!
Thanks @Magnum6 .

It all starts with goals and a plan.

I hear you about the nukes - but, I'm here neck deep in it right now and have no choice but to ride it out until I get relieved - hopefully in October or early November.

Until then, I'll be facing whatever comes down the pipe.

I'll be honest with you, my Commander was bone stock when I picked it up and I had so many things I wanted to do to it, I wasn't sure where to start.

Now, 3 years later she has come a long way.

I still have a few things left to do - but I can count them on one hand now and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for your service too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ive had mine for 15 years (bought new) and just turned 141k miles. Im catching up to you... kinda.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts