Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The satnav display has gone blank at all times although all the functions/ sound works fine. The rear screen works fine and displays what the front is playing. The jeep has been off the road/ not started for 7 weeks due to a hose and back with me for just a few days before it went blank whilst it was playing. Took it into the dealer who will look at it tomorrow. Any known problems with the screen??

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Haven't heard of this problem on here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rubicontrail.net said:
Which navigation system do you have? The in-dash or the on-top-of-dash?
It's the in dash REJ system. I noticed in the dark tonight that I could see the slightest outline of what should be displayed when I changed modes etc...as though a light was out behind the display. I don't know anything about screens so not sure if that makes any sense to explain the fault.

Seams like mine is becoming prone to faults that no one's experienced before. I wonder how long to get a head unit????:rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer has removed and tested the Navigation system today and found it needs a complete replacement. Up to 2-3 weeks for it to arrive.:(

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The unit arrived last week and was fitted by the dealer. Satnav, screen and cd fine and all seemed ok until I got back in the car outside the dealer and my 2 year old asked for a cartoon on the entertainment system. The dvd played the picture but no sound through the head unit. Headphones OK. The mechanic tried for an hour to get the diagnostic computer to connect to my car but it turns out it was defective. Went back a few days later and they plugged the repaired computer into the car but no fault could be found. The dealer has emailed Jeep and another head unit has been ordered.

·
Registered
321 Posts
i was JUST going to post about this EXACT thing!

started the car up today for the first time and the screen was black (blank) although all functions worked. drove to my local dealer to get some parts i ordered and when i got back to the truck (about 10 minutes) and started it it was fine.

Shrek - what else can i expect from this before i need to take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
154 Posts
this VES issue happened to me... they had to replace the Nav when the put in the VES.. they could not get it to "see" the VES....they replaced my NAV under warranty...it happens

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
08XKLimited said:
i was JUST going to post about this EXACT thing!

started the car up today for the first time and the screen was black (blank) although all functions worked. drove to my local dealer to get some parts i ordered and when i got back to the truck (about 10 minutes) and started it it was fine.

Shrek - what else can i expect from this before i need to take it to the dealer?
My units screen went blank and stayed that way for 2 weeks before I took it to the dealer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took it into the dealer for the 2nd new head unit today. Still wouldn't recognise the VES. Luckily a Jeep warranty technicion was there from head office. He took a look at it for a couple of hours (took down VES monitor etc and checked all feeds). After calls to head office he is now hoping top send an upadate to the dignostic computer that will plug into mine and let it recognise the VES. Hopefully for next Tuesday.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Mine has done that in the past. I just truned vehicle off and restarted, all OK at this time. Does anyone know if there is a TB on this issue?

·
Registered
321 Posts
had a service apt. today for the mygig. when i started the truck this morning everything worked fine, except there was no sound. the volume control did not work from the steering wheel or the RER itself.

drove it to the dealer that way and did not turn it off so they could look at it.

they are ordering in a new unit

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Shrek said:
I took it into the dealer for the 2nd new head unit today. Still wouldn't recognise the VES. Luckily a Jeep warranty technicion was there from head office. He took a look at it for a couple of hours (took down VES monitor etc and checked all feeds). After calls to head office he is now hoping top send an upadate to the dignostic computer that will plug into mine and let it recognise the VES. Hopefully for next Tuesday.
Getting very frustrated now. 2 months for a simple repair again. Chrysler told the dealer to contact Alpiner themselves because they hadn't got the answer. Alpine have not replied to various emails and when I complain to Chrysler they just say its between the dealer and alpine. The same technician is due at the deealer tommorrow so they are going to chase it up with them. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haven't heard about a problem like this before. Why cant you consult it with any of the factory techs. It will be nice. Wht abt the warranty period.:confused:

---------------
Peter Sweeyen
If you haven't checked out book trailers, or if you want to see some really cools ones I've found a few places that are really good.
My favorite is on YouTube at www.youtube.com/booktrailers, but I also like the new ones on the BN.com site at www.bn.com and go to the BN Studio, and I love the Borders Media site too.
VidLits are pretty cool www.vidlits.com.
http://www.youtube.com/booktrailers

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yehehehey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fixed at last!!

After numerous brand new head units and testing the tech guy from Jeep who had looked at it before brought a new commander up. He swapped the head units and it worked. The new one fitted to mine a month ago did not work in the new commander.

So the problem lies with Alpine supplying numerous new defective head units.

SO IF YOU HAVE THE ALPINE REJ (EUROPEAN) HEAD UNIT REPLACED AND THE VES DVD SYSTEM IN THE REAR STOPS LINKING TO IT THERE'S A VERY GOOD CHANCE ITS A DEFECTIVE NEW HEAD UNIT FROM ALPINE WHICH IS NOW A KNOWN FAULT!!!!

(Can this conclusion go as a sticky anywhere mods?? Just a thought as its taken ages to sort and is info from the Jeep Technician).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts