Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody can help with this it would be most appreciated, when I first bought my Commander the signal to the satellite radio never worked so I just ignored it. It's been some time now and one can only take so much repetitiveness from local radio. I've contacted Sirius and they've sent out signals and no luck with all of their troubleshooting methods. So,if anybody has came across this problem can you direct me in the right direction opposite of taking it to the "STEALERSHIP" would be most appreciated,thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
1. Do you have crossbars on the rack? If you have a crossbar directly about the antenna on the rear roof it can impede the signal.

That said, I wouldn't expect that would prevent it from *ever* getting a signal.

2. Have you tried to pull the head unit to confirm the antenna is connected? If you bought the Jeep used, a prior owner could have removed and swapped radios.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have metal roof racks and the one is not near the antenna but i was going to pull the radio next, my signal for local channels are kinda fuzzy so that makes me suspect of antenna being plugged in or not. Thanks again for your response.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
1. Do you have crossbars on the rack? If you have a crossbar directly about the antenna on the rear roof it can impede the signal.

That said, I wouldn't expect that would prevent it from *ever* getting a signal.

2. Have you tried to pull the head unit to confirm the antenna is connected? If you bought the Jeep used, a prior owner could have removed and swapped radios.
My crossbars were covering mine. I was considering adding an additional antenna before I found that. :shock:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So a little late but i ended up moving the metal cross bar on the roof and no luck, also i ended up removing the radio to check to see if the antenna was plugged in and yes it was.I was hoping that it wasn't for some piece of sanity...lol,so now I will look into finding a factory radio w/ nav and satellite hopefully for a decent price unless I can find what the problem is.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
There is another connector a few inches down from the antenna itself, as well, any damage to the cable that runs the full length of the vehicle, would cause the signal NOT to get to the radio.

...the signal to the satellite radio never worked so I just ignored it...
So the Satellite Radio NEVER worked, or the radio is actually telling you that it doesn't get a signal from the antenna?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't answer that about if the satellite never worked but the only thing it's showing is "no signal" and if i can locate that wire in which you've mentioned maybe i can make a repair if possible,thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
What year is your commander? Early ones such as 06 and 07 didn't have an internal tuner in the head unit. They had an external tuner located under one of the back seats. If you fold the middle seats out of the way there should be a little panel that you can pop off and the tuner is under there with one wire coming from the antenna and another going to the head unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an '06 I will check that out I would of thought that everything was internal,thanks for the info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have found the tuner and both wires are plugged up so i presume the tuner is shot or is there a way to reset it?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts