Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend with a new Wrangler that upgraded to a bigger tire when he first purchased the car. Gave the stock Wrangler tires to me. What do I need to do to make these fit as well as re-calculating my speedo?

Thanks

·
1,993 Posts
Ok I looked it up it's a 32" Your going to at least need a 2" lift and if you don't wheel it maybe that will be all you need. You'll probably get minor rubbing at full turn. Ideally you'll want to do the pinch weld and wheel well mod with that size tire especially if you're going to add spacers. If you put that size tire on without the 2" lift you're going to rub a lot and have issues.

·
1,993 Posts
No it won't but that don't mean some warranty companies haven't tried either. They have to prove the lift caused the damage or lead to the damage to void the repair. The dealer you take it to has a lot to do with how much of an issue it is as well. Ya the RC lift should be all you need. Put it on throw the rubber on and test it out and see where you're rubbing. Like I said I only rubbed at full lock then put spacers on and rubbed somewhere else. But I love the look and the handling with the spacers it made a big difference. I think there is a set of used spacers for sale on the Steel Armadillo's website.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ill just add a 2 cent comment. I went to a 255/70/17 from stock with the 2.25 rocky road lift and 1.5 inch spacers. I didnt need to do any wheel well mods.
Without the lift or spacers, the 70/75 will rub at full turns into the plastic.
Also some lifts come with shocks etc. I wont push that on you. I bought mine with the shocks, and I have read on here of those who didnt and have issues with the shocks, ( the stock ones) and needed to go back and get new shocks. just my two cents.

Im deciding on a 265/70/17 over my existing 255/70/17 right now, so i feel your plight :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I run 255.75.17s and have the 2 inch Budget Boost (daystar) and got the 1.25" Wheel spacers. You DO NOT need new shocks, the stock ones are fine with a budget boost like this. Plus they are easy to upgrade later if you want. I bent over the pinch weld and reformed the plastic liners, but mine only rubbed when I was wheeling. I would throw them on after the lift and see what you think.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told spacers are not required and that there will be less rubbing without them. Is this true?

thanks for all of your input. It would really suck to mount new tires and not be able to drive away.

The tires were free and i'm hoping that I will be able to get away with just purchasing a rough country 2 inch lift.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I have 32 inch 255/75/17's, with a 2" lift and 1.5" spydertrax wheel spacers. I needed to pound down the sheet metal in the pinch weld and I cut the plastic wheel well liner. But I wish I had heated the plastic and reformed it.

I "think" you may be able to get by with a 2 inch lift and no spacers but check the stud clearance for the ball joints in front. You will need a front end alignment after the lift and new tires. The front end alignment is critical for safety as well as tire longevity.

You will not need to replace the rear shocks at this time. After your shocks wear and when they do need replacement, you will want to get longer shocks. Ask about what fits when you are ready.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So how did they work for you Green06? Pics? I really want 255 75 17 Hankooks but not sure if they will fit. May have to do the 245 75 17

·
Registered
284 Posts
So how did they work for you Green06? Pics? I really want 255 75 17 Hankooks but not sure if they will fit. May have to do the 245 75 17
There are a lot of us running the 255.75.17s

You just need to do the pinch weld mod.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts