Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldn't find a tread about this so Im making one....since, to my surprise, this really worked well.

THE OCD thread and several others have show damage and scratch all the way down the sides of the vehicles. I have plenty of them too from going down narrow trails. Looks like pin striping.

I talked to a body shop about getting rid of them and then possibly prevent more.
it was sound like it was going to cost hundreds of dollars to fix. I was thinking i would just live with the scratches since its just adds character...:).

I an idea that i ran across to prevent future scratches was to run a giant strip of cling on plastic -- like they use in body shops -- down the sides when i know the trails will be narrow....they you just take a knife and cut slots for the doors to open...then toss it in the trash when you leave the trail.

BUT i figure that to be pointless unless i removed the old ones.

SO i just went to store and got a scratch removal wax and and pad you put in a drill, the a buffing cover kit. this a very cheep way around investing in a Buffer.

IT worked very well and the wax pads and buffing cloths all cost about 10-12 dollars.
My wife and i were very very impressed.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I have more photos i will post and the products i used.

Im sure many on here have already done this before and probably have the real buffer....but this was my first time using this method of buffing out scratches the run the full lenght of the the vehicle.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rubbing compond does wonders
I was going to use running compound but the guy at the car supply store talked me out of it and said use this scratch remover wax. it has "carnuba" in it which is supposed to be safer and better for NEW vehicles with new clear coating.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is what I used:

and then used the pad and the covers: wax apply cover, wax remove cover, and buffing cover.

I just put it on like a wax, step by step.

and started working my way down the vehicle blending each section together.

Most of the scratches ran all the way along the sides and could be seen from a ways away.
It got rid of 90 percent of them. some can be seen at just the right angle if you are looking very closely.
BUT when i got done, I was very pleased.
I could have lived with them since they are just part of driving on trails and having fun. but this was a cheep way to minimize the scratchs.

Standing back and looking at it, I'm glad it worked this well...and now its like a mirror.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I even hit the chrome part with the buffing pad.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Looks great, I too have the Dark Khaki with lots of Arizona Pin Stripping, I picked up a buffer at Harbor Freight for $5 but have not purchased a scratch remover yet, sounds like I know what too look for now. Great Thread, Thx.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It worked a lot better than I thought it would. Great job!
Looks good:)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Well done... from the after pics I can see no sign of any scratches,, do you see any by looking at it directly?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well done... from the after pics I can see no sign of any scratches,, do you see any by looking at it directly?
If you get really close you can see some of the really bad ones, but you have to be right up to too the vehicle with your nose and have to look at a certain angle.

And it obviously doesnt work for blemishes that are past the clear coat, or into the metal.
BUT it did reduce some of them.
Like this deep one:

before:

after:

HERE there was NOT much hope....
BUT it helped reduce it. the only way to fix scuff this deep is with paint. Atleast this was on the fender area that I plan to paint this spring with bed liner like HUEY's .

before

After:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the obviously key is the buffing part of the process. And to blend the areas together. I did it in sections and the edge of each section sort of got the process more than once, that way each section blended well

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:rofl:ONE obvious NOTE.......

don't turn on the buffer just after putting the wax on the pad until you have started working and rubbing it in......

It will fly all over....and make a mess....:rofl:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts