Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I took the dash apart and made an attempt at installing an aftermarket radio. I accidentally touched the constant 12v line with the ground line and shorted something out. I think I blew a fuse because now neither the factory radio nor the aftermarket radio is getting power.

But, it gets better. I tried to start my jeep to back it out of the garage with nothing plugged in. It says service park assist system. When I try to start it, it just clicks and never turns over. It just clicks rapidly with out ever engaging and starting.

What could I possibly have done? I checked a few different fuses (Audio, audio amp, ignition etc.)

Please help me.:mofo:

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Rapid clicking is usually a sign of a bad or low battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well afaik it there is one 12v line from the harness to the radio, so it would be that 12v constant line.

·
1,993 Posts
You obviously blew a fuse to that power line. From what I can tell there are three fuses a main 30A fuse seems to be the first one in line then that wire gets split into two leads where another fuse is for each line. I don't know what year or system you have so I looked up the 2007 premium radio system. The jeep not starting I believe is just a dead battery do to your description.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it was a dead battery, I just didn't notice how dim the lights had gotten haha.

But the radio still doesn't work. It's a 2006 with the Boston Package.

·
1,993 Posts
well, the line is diffendently fused you just need to track it down and change it. The fuse location for the radio is probably in the owners manual. A multimeter will make quick work of checking fuses if ya have one. I doubt you had a long enough or hot enough short to burn the wire clean threw. But I'm sure you figured this out by now but your suppose to disconnect the battery when doing install's like this. My guess if its the 30a fuse that would be in the power distribution box under the hood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I checked every fuse in the interior panel and the two under the hood. Is there a diagram or such I can use to trace the connection back to its respective fuses?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ah ok. The owners manual is very vague about the location of the fuses. It gives a number, but none of the fuses under the hood are numbered and when you look at the diagram on the fuse box lid, it just says 20a fuse rather than a name for the fuse.

Anyways, I pulled everyone of them and looked at them and tested them with my multimeter. I might recheck them later.

I would really appreciate if you could find anything for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts