Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to the local pick and pull and found a commander with a seat still in it. I pulled the latch /pre-tensioners off and returned home. I am replacing them today on my lunch break when I notice the passenger side replacement assembly only has one electrical plug on it. The one it has is the one for the tensioner itself going to the gas tube. My seat base has two wires coming from under it going into the tensioner. The other electrical plug that is missing is where the small two-wire that is usually taped down to the outside of the gas tube and runs up into the belt latch itself. I would guess this wire is for a sensor to know if someone is in the seat or the buckle is being used. I think the commander I pulled the pre-tensioner from was a base model whereas mine is a limited with dual power seats. What is this other wire for? Can it safely be bypassed or ignored? I'd like to just run without it but I guess I probably will have to find another used pre-tensioner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This didn't seem to help me unless I am overlooking something.
It literally took just a few minutes to pull the seat, tilt it on the side with the door open and hang it partially out so you can work on it while sitting in the back seat. The whole job, start to finish shouldn't take more than about 20 minutes. 15mm seat bolts to the floor(2 font two rear.) Tilt the seat with wires still attached out the door some. jump in the back seat, remove 5 plastic trim Phillip screws to reveal seat belt pre-tensioner. The plastic has to be lifted up and away not pulled straight out away from the frame. Lastly take a 15/16th socket to remove the pre-tensioner bolt holding it to the seat frame and unplug your wires. Reverse to install a new one.
No reason at all to remove the middle console.

I just found a few used parts auctions where some list the passenger side as a one wire or two but the majority just say what color and location. Also most of the new old stock being sold doesn't tell you if the part has two wires plugs or just one. I'd think this would be valuable information to someone looking to replace theirs.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
182 Posts
I replaced my passenger side seat belt pretensioner last summer. Below is a link to my post about it, which includes the video I used as a guide. Not sure how much it'll help, as mine had all the same plugs / wires as the one I was replacing. I didnt even realize there were ones with different connections.

Seat Belt Pretensioner Replacement

1 - 4 of 4 Posts