Registered
5,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I initally disagreed with the law, the older I get, the more I agree with
it. Though I oppose state mandating wearing belts, I always (99.999%) wear
one. It just makes sense.....

·
1,993 Posts
Well it depends how driving is interpreted. Because its something you technically do not have to do its viewed as a privilege. Which in todays situation and layout that is up for debate as well. But since its a choice and not need covered by the constitution I agree with the law. If it was a need or something the government was forcing every american to do or purchase (health care) then I would completely disagree with the law.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I agree with seat belt laws for the most part. I understand how some people don't want the government telling them what they should do all the time also. But in this case , its for their own good. How many times have there been an accident where someone was ejected and killed because they weren't wearing their seat belt ? There is no guarantee that the person would have survived if they had been wearing the seat belt but how often does someone get ejected from the vehicle when they were wearing their seat belt ? The news stories about fatal accidents almost always end with, " they were not wearing their seat belt. " What has been on my mind lately is the fact that school buses dont have seat belts. I know the difficulty in getting the students to wear them but I think if the parents have them wear them all the time than it will be more of a habit when they get on the bus to just buckle up. My daughter gets in and automatically buckles up without even being told. i believe this would carry over to the bus. We just had a bus that had to brake hard to avoid another vehicle. The bus didnt hit anything but 17 elementary students were taken to the hospital for bumps and bruises, nothing turned out to be serious. Seat belts would have prevented this, I believe.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I once came upon an accident where a mother and boy (age 10+-) were involved. The car was an older Ford Tempo. These cars had a latch that would release the passive restraint belt that traveled up the A pilar and over the shoulder.

Both belts were disconnected. The mother was ejected and DOA. The boy had gone in and out of having a pulse with the aid of an off-duty EMT.

I was a distance from home and do not know if the boy survived. At the time, I believed that if an ADULT did not wear a belt, it was their problem. After thinking about the recklessness of disconnecting a childs belt, I started to think that no matter whether the boy survived or not, he could be an orphan.

Belts save lives. Those lives are not always those of the person who did not wear the belt. The life saved could be anyone who cares about you.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well, since you asked....
I like to interject a second law as food for thought....

Mandatory helmet use on motorcycles.
My state does not have one....we motorcyclists succesfully overthrew the law about 20 years ago.

Bottom line: laws are made to protect people from other people, not protect people from themselves.
BTW I am religious with helmet use.....but I'm not going to shove my opinion down anyones throat....
Ok, with that in mind.....mandatory seat belt use.

I believe in it......heres why.
Often, immediatly after a collision, the involved vehicles are still rolling.
If the driver has been displaced and is no longer at the controls, that rolling vehicle may come to hit....me.
A mandatory belt law, being obeyed, will possibly keep that driver in some degree of control, or at least at the controls......in so doing, the law is protecting me from someone else.

We can talk about expenses affecting everyone and yadi yadi yadi....but as long as the law is created specifically to protect me from someone else....well....draw your own conclusions.
I also am a religious belt wearer, but this is more a result of many years of racing.....lots easier to drive from the drivers position so I kinda like to stay there.
Rob

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I voted YES.

Here's my food for thought:

A) Seatbelts save lives. Period. Dot. IMO, you're not the brightest tool in the shed :)spineyes:) if you don't wear one.

B) States need revenue. If there weren't some "easy cash" laws in effect, all of our taxes would have to be higher or we'd be paying some other way. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.... get some revenue into the state budget while fining idiots who think they're invincible and don't need to wear seat belts.

·
Registered
696 Posts
How about this, I love CA, if you are not wearing your seatbelt you are getting a ticket. If you are the driver and your passengers are not wearing your seatbelt driver still gets ticketed, whether passengers are children or adults.

Then in Wisconsin the "drunk driver" that was not above the legal limit but had alcohol in system causing accident. Killed two people and charged with vehicular manslaughter but those two people did not have seatbelts on. Did they die because they were not wearing seatbelt or because other driver was drinking.

If I cause a collision because I run a stop sign I get a ticket. You have the option not to wear your seatbelt and get killed and now I am going to jail, have to live with that guilt, and your family has to live with the loss. Wear your seatbelt because other drivers are not out to kill you but accidents happen!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Absolutely. I didn't always feel this way, but about 15 years ago I was the only witness to a head-on crash where both vehicles were doing 40+ mph. The driver of a mid 70s LTD wagon was not wearing his seatbelt and crossed the double yellow and hit an early 80s Chevy van. The driver of the van was wearing his seat belt. The van's windshield flew off at least 80 feet, still intact. The van driver's sunglasses flew off his face a lesser distance. The van driver could still talk (moan). I watched a local business EMTs drag the LTD driver from his car and perform CPR on his lifeless body to no avail (the crash was right in front of a chemical plant). When the wrecker showed up to tow the LTD, the wagon sagged in half as the frame was broken. The fact that the driver of the van survived this horrific crash stayed with me, and I have worn my seat belt every day, every drive, ever since.

·
Registered
36 Posts
And what's wrong with that? If a competent adult decides not to wear their seat belt why should the government MAKE them under penalty of a fine? Oh yeah, MONEY GRAB.

thats the issue,
a COMPENTENT ADULT would not make the choice to NOT wear his/her seat belt.

its a safety issue bottom line.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
This is the reason I wear on e religiously, mine is the Red Ram, the Silver Avenger beside it was an unlicensed and unisured 21 year old driver that thought the light was red for me but green for him to tur in front of me at 45 mph. The truck rolled 3 times and came to rest, broken collarbone from the belt and separated shoulder from the roll. If I was not buckeled in it would have tossed me out of the door when it decided to do an ejection move during the wreck so I agree that the law is to protect us from other idiots on the road..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts