Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... yeah so it may be a "law" to wear seat belts, but I have had too many occurances where if actually wearing seat belts would have killed me or any passengers in a vehicle.

This being said... there has GOT to be a way to turn the seat belt notification off. I have not been able to figure it out. Most new cars with this feature, the ding eventually turns itself off if you choose not to use the seat belt, but not my commander. It will beep for 3 hours straight if i never put it on. Someone tell me if there is actually a way to do so.

·
Registered
107 Posts
gitchuone said:
Okay... yeah so it may be a "law" to wear seat belts, but I have had too many occurances where if actually wearing seat belts would have killed me or any passengers in a vehicle.
Your luck will run out...Buckle up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know that in other vehicles, I have heard of people detaching the wiring that connects to the mounted seat belt that causing this dinging if not worn.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when a car t-bones you and you're lucky enough to be tossed out of the driver side and into the passenger seat, you're very glad you weren't straped in when the wreckage totalled the shifter and anything in the way.... :p

i don't know if the wiring would be the only way... i'm gonna find out about disabling it with the cp dia.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a somewhat different take. When it's just me and my dog (a 65lb Boxer), she rides in the front seat (right). I just buckle the belt which turns the annoying blinker/dinger off.

For **** sapiens, just wear the belt!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I design, install and maintain traffic signals for Va Dot. I have seen too, too many injuries and deaths due to people not wearing seat belts. It's your ticket, and your life. If someone does not wear the seat belt when I'm driving, they either buckle up or get out.:D My son was driving this morning, I was in the back of the GC, I had not put my seat belt on yet, he turned around and said, Dad, put your seat belt on! I wonder where he got that from!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This isn't the case... i am not saying I am not going to wear the selt belt. I DO wear my selt belt, but I just don't need an annoying DING to tell me to wear it. Got it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good god..read your owners manual! LOL
The directions on how to turn off the seat belt "ding" is in there.

Theres also LOTS of cool stuff about your Commander that you will learn about if you read it all the way through..
Sorry guys, you cant protect everyone from themselves...LOL
Natural selection in progress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is instruction in the manual, though its hard to find. Something like "with the drivers seat belt buckled, start the car, wait for the seat belt light to go off, then unbuckle and rebuckle the seat belt 3 times w/in the first 30 seconds of engine start..." It took me multiple times of playing around, but eventually the alarm went off... Good luck. If I remeber to check my manual, I'll post the page.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The instructions for this in the owners manual are a little bit confusing. I like to ride to the mail box or pull the Jeep out of the garage without hearing that nagging ring.
Here is how I turned mine off:
1) start with the seatbelt unbuckled, and the key out of the ingition.
2) put the key in, turn it to the "ON" (RUN) position (the manual says acc, but this will not work) WITHOUT STARTING THE ENGINE, the seatbelt light will light up for a few seconds. Then it will go out....
3) as soon as the seatbelt light blinks off, buckle and unbuckle the belt at least three times, finishing with the seatbelt buckled and start the engine. This step has to be done WITHIN TEN SECONDS of the seatbelt light turning off in step 2.

That's it... the ringer should "bling" once as you start the engine

The ringer will still sound once as a reminder every time you start the engine..
The ringer will still "bling" once if you unbuckle the belt while driving....

the procedure to reactivate it is the same, so make sure that you drive around a bit to see if you deactivated it, otherwise if you try twice in a row, you may turn it right back on!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
gitchuone said:
This isn't the case... i am not saying I am not going to wear the selt belt. I DO wear my selt belt, but I just don't need an annoying DING to tell me to wear it. Got it?
If you wear the seat belt why do you need to know how to trun off the "ding"? :confused:

·
Registered
53 Posts
HEMI said:
The ringer will still sound once as a reminder every time you start the engine..
The ringer will still "bling" once if you unbuckle the belt while driving....
But does the red light stay on constantly?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts