Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have any of you noticed that the seat belts are shorter? :confused: I picked up my mother-in-law and she could not buckle in. Kind of embarassing to say the least. I did read in the Owners Manual that you can get a extension, which is totally ridiculous.

I think calling it the Seat Belt Extension is pretty lame. They should call it the Chubby Extender™

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was not doing anything different- A good friend of mine and I went for lunch a few weeks ago and had the same dilemma. I am not sure what the problem is- I am thinking maybe the seat could of went back just a bit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am an average sized guy 5'10 160 and i have no problems at all with the seatbelts on either side......HOWEVER my buddy who is 6'1 and 315 has a hard time putting the passenger side belt on even with the seat all the way back. My mom who is short also has some problems with the belts on the passenger side when she pulled it all the way out and tried to put it around her (she is nowhere near the size of my buddy) but no problem with the drivers side the few times she drove the Jeep. I did have a problem with the seatbelt tensioner in the 3rd row locking up and preventing the seat from being pulled back up and the dealer said there might be a TSB on the tensioner system for them because this was the 2nd commander he had a problem with the 3rd row of seats not comming back up.
But yes the passenger side belt seems very short

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I am new to this forum and I have had my Commander for two weeks and I had a similar problem but it was with anyone who rode in the front passenger seat of the jeep. My seat belt had locked to where it would only extend about 10 inches out, and now it extends even more than I could ever use. My dog gets seatbeated into in and he is huge and never sits still and it extends even to let him into the middle row.

·
Registered
170 Posts
For grins, I just went out and tested the length on the passenger side seat belt. With the seat all the way back I cant see anyone not being able to use the seat belt unless they were..uh, for the lack of a better term..huge. I am a pretty average sized guy but I am also pretty trim, I extended the belt out all the way out and buckled it...there was a LOT of extra room.
I did notice somethig that could be important...you have to adjust the "male" part of the seat belt latch (the piece attached to the seat belt) to give plenty of room for the belt to fit over your lap. If anything, you need to shorten the part that goes across your chest to give you plenty of slack for the part that goes across your lap. It seems to have some kind of locking device on it to where you need to adjust plenty of slack for the lap before you buckle it together or else the belt will not slide through it and it could give the impression that there is not enough seat belt to strap in a larger person, I noticed this right away. Its kind of hard to explain but I hope what I'm trying to say makes some sense.

But if you gotta buy the extender, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do..LOL

·
Registered
128 Posts
Seat Belt ?'s

Has anyone else noticed if their passenger side seat belt is more restrainive than the driver side? It seems like the PS shoulder belt won't extend out as far as the DS will. Its kinda annoying when you're in the PS reaching for the GPS or something...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I'm rarely in the Jeep while someone else is driving. None of my passengers have ever mentioned a problem, but that doesn't mean it is not (more) restrictive. Typically I just do what I have to do and move on and not think about it much.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Merged threads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts