Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Historically, Chryslers and Jeeps have always had a bad interlock system. Just crack open the steering wheel collar and use a screw driver to start the engine.

Alarm systems were really needed in urban areas (or the "club").

Ok, now the interlock system is completely redesigned. A chip in the key is required to start the engine. If a bogus key is used, the engine will start for 2 seconds and then shutdown for 20 minutes.

I assume that to gain entry, the alarm system is now blaring. And now the engine is disabled.

OK, so that is what is "stated" will happen.

So, is there any "real world" experiences on the alarm/security/engine cutoff system works. I assume it will take a while for the thieves to figure out either they can't steal the car (easily) or how to steal it, quickly.

My old Jeep never had any problem. The after market alarm system, with the blinking light, sent any theives to other cars. (I'm only talking about teenager theives. Not the professionals.)

Tom

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've had a 1997 Mustang GT Roush Stage II, and a 1996 Mustang Cobra. Never had a problem with attempted theft or break in.

Earlier mustangs used to always be top of the list for car thefts, but once those key embedded chips came out, they dropped off the top 10. Not sure if your average car thief has since learned to circumvent the systems or not.

I did put a Clifford Matrix on my Commander. It has a radio receiver at the key fob to advise of break in or impacts, and also a remote start. Also, just a deterrent. Not designed to stop the professional I would imagine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts