Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember someone had a web site where you can buy an unprogramed sentry key for 20$. So you can program it yourself. I can't seem to find the post. Does any one know it. Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
They are available on Ebay, but they do NOT have the keyless entry remote part - so it is of somewhat dubious value *except* as a Valet key.

You can program either that key or a blank one with the keyless remote *if* you already have two other keys. The instructions are in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. need an extra key for my security system with remote start. I dont want to give up the 2 originals. so I dont need the keyless entry. thanks again

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm getting remote start installed in 2 days. Dealer said nothing about another key! Unit is a DEI. That's all I know right now, except it is $385 installed including tax.

·
Registered
437 Posts
We had dealer install factory remote start before we took delivery. Love it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
walkjon said:
We had dealer install factory remote start before we took delivery. Love it!
And I would have too, but Jeep wants $300 plus about $200 installation. I save $125. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
You should also know that the security system won't allow you to drive the vehicle with a blank-cut key that has no module on it. There is a chip in the key module that must match a code in the ignition system for the motor to run more than '2 seconds' ...see the manual. Your replacement key NEEDS to have a module/remote on it and it needs to be 'coded' to your ignition. You can code it yourself but you still need the key-module set.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone been able to successfully program a "gray" sentry key without the keyless entry fob on it to the Commander? (Or any of the other DC products with the intrgrated key/remote?)

I have a Commander and a Charger and would like an extra working key for each of them, but dont want to spend the $100 each for the keyless entry model.

Thanks
-John

·
Registered
192 Posts
Remote start was installed---and, YES, there is a "programmed" key somewhere in the system. However, all works well. Factory alarm is still fully functional.

·
Registered
204 Posts
sgilbert said:
Remote start was installed---and, YES, there is a "programmed" key somewhere in the system. However, all works well. Factory alarm is still fully functional.
There is actually an antenna that wraps around the skreem antenna and is programmed to the Skreem. Acts like another key as far as skreem is concerned, but only while the remote start is activated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
"Skreem" HUH! The only screem I know about is the one from my wife if the remote start evee failed to work. :)

(There is a small horizontal antenna at left base of the windshield that the installer placed there with 2 LED lights.)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Here's what you do my friend:
Go to your hardward store and cut the standard (non-computerized) key for your Jeep. Hang this key in discreet place where no one knows about it except you. In case you lock your key inside the car, this key will get you in the car. Once the door is open the alarm will temporarily go off. But that's OK as then you have your key that you locked in the first place. Once the Jeep's key is in ignition, the alarm will stop.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the reason I asked; I will be installing an after market alarm with remote start. The installer told me I would have to give up one of my keys for the R/S system to work. At the cost of the keys I do not want to give up any of the original keys. So my plan is to get a generic key with a chip and program it myself and give that one to the installers. This should work right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
xkjohn said:
Has anyone been able to successfully program a "gray" sentry key without the keyless entry fob on it to the Commander? (Or any of the other DC products with the intrgrated key/remote?)
To answer my own question from above, and to share information with all. You CAN successfully program the "old style" sentry keys without the keyless entry attached to them to your Commander. I picked up an blank sentry key on ebay for $15 and programmed it without issues. Once you get it cut, if you have 2 valid keys, just follow the instructions in the manual for adding a key and it will add without a problem.

I successfully did this for the 06 Commander as well as an 06 Charger.

-John

·
Registered
396 Posts
I already gave up one of my 2 keys for the remote start (matrix), so now I just have one. Does this mean I will have problems getting an additional key cut and programmed now?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought a sentry key on eBay that was suppose to work with '01-'06 Jeeps. Received it yesterday and today I went down to my local locksmith and had him cut me a key. I then followed the instructions in the book, but the key did not program successfully. Looks like $20 down the drain.

My question is about programing. Assume a Jeep owner has 2 good keys (A and B). Does it matter what key is used to cut the new blank sentry key? What I'm getting at is when I start the program phase, if I copy key A, should key A be the first one to put in the ignition IF key A was used to make the copy or doesn't it matter?

When I tried the programing process, as far as I could tell, I got all the correct bells and whistles displayed, but instead of finishing with a steady light with the new key, the light continued to blink.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SYCOHEMI said:
I already gave up one of my 2 keys for the remote start (matrix), so now I just have one. Does this mean I will have problems getting an additional key cut and programmed now?
according to the manualyou cant program a key without two already programed keys. You will have to go through the dealer if you want an extra key and I think the cost is $175-200.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
xkjohn said:
To answer my own question from above, and to share information with all. You CAN successfully program the "old style" sentry keys without the keyless entry attached to them to your Commander. I picked up an blank sentry key on ebay for $15 and programmed it without issues. Once you get it cut, if you have 2 valid keys, just follow the instructions in the manual for adding a key and it will add without a problem.

I successfully did this for the 06 Commander as well as an 06 Charger.

-John
who did you get the key from. I saw a lot of different keys on e-bay that said they worked for the XK. do you have a part number or the person you ordered from? thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you only have ONE key, the dealer will need to program additional keys for you. They normally charge a fee for this, but if you ask nice they might just do it gratis. It only takes a minute and does not require the vehicle.

I paid $135 for a spare remote key, already programmed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts