Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my truck is equipped with diesel engine, and a few days ago I replaced the generator belt. It was ok, but I still decided to do so cause it has been running for 3 years. Simply put, I did it solely for maintenance purposes.

As a part of the procedure I've had to dismount the tensioner lever (05175588AA) and after changing the belt I put the lever back. A helper who have much more experience in dealing with the iron said that usually people replace both the belt and lever, 'cause the lever experiences a heavy load and the lever spring may fail at any moment (??). I believe it's a bull****: why the spring should break up if haven't done so within last 55K miles?

And the question is : do you think it's necessary to replace both the belt and the tensioner lever at the same time?

·
Registered
556 Posts
If the bearings good, just spray the spring down and reinstall it. Its an easy piece to replace if it should fail later on. Its not one of those ' Since your in there, you may as well replace this, that and that because it took some time to get here'. This is an external unit, exposed up front that can be swapped out with ease.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts