Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend got in her 07 limited this morning. She drove about 5 minutes to the gym and when she put it in park, she noticed the neutral light was on and the dash said service 4 wheel drive. She wasn't trying to put it in 4 wheel drive or anything. She said she didn't notice any of the lights while she was driving, until she put it in park. We've owned the commander for a little over a year. I did a quick search and saw a lot of reports of people who had trouble after a recall. We have not had any recalls done in the year we've owned it. I told her to check for any codes when she got back in it. When she got back in it, there were no codes and the light was gone. Jeep has around 90k miles.

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
Any other lights on like the ESP, BAS, and Traction Control ?" Does the 4WD work ? If these other lights are on and the 4WD works then most likely you have a bad wheel speed sensor. I currently have that problem. Do the "key dance" and check for codes again. Should be one if a wheel speed sensor is bad. The code I got was U1418, which is for the right side (passenger). Only problem is they tell you if it is front or rear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No other lights. Didn't try the 4 wheel drive. I was wrong in my first post. I thought the light went away after she turned the jeep off, but after talking to her again, she said when she put it in park, the light came on for just a second, then went off on its own before she turned the jeep off. When she turned the jeep back on, the light did not reappear.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I get the service 4WD light 2-4 times a year on my 06 4.7 limited. I just ignore it. If it happens often and I have not completed the required service then I might be concerned.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should I try to put it in 4 wheel drive and see if it comes on again? She wasn't attempting to put it in 4 wheel drive last time. Just shifted into park

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Your XK is always in 4WD. Your option is to put it in 4WD lo. If it won't go into 4WD lo then perhaps the pervious owner had the N23 recall done. The dealer should be able to tell by the vin #

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I don't think you would hurt anything it will either engage or it will not. Not knowing your level of 4WD experience, I will mention that you do not want to exceed more than a slow crawl nor make turns on dry hard pavement while in 4WD lo..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The light has not come on since. However, I was in a field today, so I thought I would try the 4 lo. As soon as I lifted the lever, it beeped and the service 4 wheel drive light came on the dash again. I immediately checked for a code and there was nothing. It didn't look like the neutral light came on, just the service light

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would take it to the dealer to see if the N23 recall has been completed then have them redo it with the new version.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the new version safe? I have read tons of posts online about people who had the recall done and only had more problems. Most of those posts were a couple years old though

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried it again when I got home with the exact same results. I put the jeep in park, lifted the lever and as soon as I did, the dash said service 4 wheel drive. Immediately checked for a code and it showed nothing. As soon as I turn the ignition off, the light goes away

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I haven't tried that yet. Is that an actual fix? Or a temporary solution? Also, how would it fix it? What would make the computer need to be reset all of a sudden?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I haven't tried that yet. Is that an actual fix? Or a temporary solution? Also, how would it fix it? What would make the computer need to be reset all of a sudden?
It is my understanding that a times the system loses communication much like a computer lockup or glitch causing the error. By pulling the fuse and resetting it re-establishes communication much like a reboot or a re-flash would. Mine has not glitched again after doing this and it has been a couple of months. I put it into four wheel low almost every day to check and so far no problems.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I tried it again when I got home with the exact same results. I put the jeep in park, lifted the lever and as soon as I did, the dash said service 4 wheel drive. Immediately checked for a code and it showed nothing. As soon as I turn the ignition off, the light goes away
You probably have codes, you just can't read them without the Manufacturer's specific tool.

All the manufacturer's do this. OBD 1 and 2 were mandated by the government, those are the codes that owners can read, since then the Manufacturers designed so many additional other electronic software controls on vehicles, that there are thousands of diagnostics codes from a whole host of computers all communicating on a network in the vehicle. BUT, when you want to read all those fault codes those electronic modules set, that you own in the vehicle you bought, you can't see them. The only thing you're allowed to have access to the Government mandated codes.

Chrysler might be slightly better than the others in the fact they have a included the key dance feature to read out the codes they allow you to have access too. And all the manufacturers, because its government mandated, will read out the OBDII codes from a universal scan tool. But all the rest of the many times over additional diagnostic codes they've built in over the years, no one lets you have access to that, you have to go to a dealer and pay through the nose to find those out.

The motor that puts the XFR case into 4LOW may have failed, or it could be something different.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What little I read, and I may be wrong.

A few Commanders had the XFR case shift in neutral uncommanded. The fault ended up being damage to the circuit board in the module that controls the 4WD, that wasn't caught during the self-test of the module. So they wrote new software to spot the damage in the circuit board during a self-test and disable things to prevent the scenario happening again, issued a recall. Instead of replacing the flawed electronic modules, they avoided that, by solving the safety problem by having the self-test tell you the module failed and disables itself, before the flaw can compromise safety, so you can go to the dealer and pay them to replace the flawed module.

I guess they didn't get the software right, because it was too sensitive and was failing every module shortly after the flash and disabling everyone's 4LOW. The latest software is suppose to fix it to a more reasonable level self-test and failures.

The drawback of shifting the XFR case with a motor, is the seals on the motor to the XFR case can fail, and you loose oil from the XFR case and it ruins the motor. So you're service FWD light might be working like it should, you're motor may actually have failed or maybe you have another problem. Or, like they said, it might be the results of the bad software from previous recall.

As far as rebooting modules? I'm pretty sure the modules boot up and establish communications every time you start the car, sometimes when its off, as they run their own self-tests. As I understand the Service 4WD software issue, to prevent uncommanded shifting into neutral of the XFR case, when the electronic module fails the self-test, the software disables any shifting of the XFR case. So, if the module fails a self-test and sets a code, the software disables it as long as there is a code. If you kill all power and get the module to dump the code, the software might then enable it until the code comes back. I don't know if killing electric power to the module gets it to dump the codes, some modules it does some it doesn't.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As Jeep5253 said it more than likely a faulty wheel speed sensor on the way out. They're cheap and easy to replace.
Remember Music_Man123 said he did not try and put the car in to Low Range so why are we talking about the N23 reflash issue which only occurs when you try to shift to low. Also you're meant to have your car in Neutral when shifting to Low Range NOT Park as MM123 wrote..
When "Service 4WD System" pops up for me in High Range it's always been a front wheel speed sensor. Buy yourself an OBII code reader. If the fault is an intermittent error that goes away then re-appears later on the code may not show in the OBDII as these codes can reset themselves if the problem doesn't re occur after so many miles trouble free. If that's the case don't worry until it won't clear by it's self.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts