Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 v8. I've had the truck for a few years now. Over the summer the ABS light, my traction control light, and service 4 wheel drive system all turned on. The now ex-boyfriend took it to a friend of his shop and they supposedly fixed it but it came back. And of course he won't tell me what was done. So fast forward to now. All the same lights are back on. And for the most part it drives okay, but there is a slight roaring when I drive it. When I put the truck into drive it kind of bogs down like it doesn't want to shift but then it does and everything's fine. It shifts into other gears while I drive fine even though it does feel like it's taking longer than it should to switch gears. Over the summer when this first happened I did a Google search and came up with a recall problem. I called the 1-800 number to see if any of the recalls were ever done on my truck. The lady informed me that my truck was Canadian so the recalls were different, and that all recalls were done on my truck that apply to it. So now here I am stuck again. I don't want to spend a lot of money on unnecessary things. I've been told by a trillion people it can be a trillion different things. Transfer case. Drive shaft. General Electric modular is being leaked on. I don't even know. But any help that you have would be awfully appreciated!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 v8. I've had the truck for a few years now. Over the summer the ABS light, my traction control light, and service 4 wheel drive system all turned on. The now ex-boyfriend took it to a friend of his shop and they supposedly fixed it but it came back. And of course he won't tell me what was done. So fast forward to now. All the same lights are back on. And for the most part it drives okay, but there is a slight roaring when I drive it. When I put the truck into drive it kind of bogs down like it doesn't want to shift but then it does and everything's fine. It shifts into other gears while I drive fine even though it does feel like it's taking longer than it should to switch gears. Over the summer when this first happened I did a Google search and came up with a recall problem. I called the 1-800 number to see if any of the recalls were ever done on my truck. The lady informed me that my truck was Canadian so the recalls were different, and that all recalls were done on my truck that apply to it. So now here I am stuck again. I don't want to spend a lot of money on unnecessary things. I've been told by a trillion people it can be a trillion different things. Transfer case. Drive shaft. General Electric modular is being leaked on. I don't even know. But any help that you have would be awfully appreciated!
@Not Your Jezebel; Welcome to the forum.

I have a couple of questions for you: Can you shift into & out of 4-LOW?

Secondly, Have you ever checked to see if all of your safety recalls & campaigns have been completed?

You don't have to take some else's word for it, You can check for yourself right here by plugging in your VIN #;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Big Blue thank you!!! I haven't tried to put it in 4low. I was actually kind of nervous too. With the service 4 wheel drive system light on I was scared put it in 4low. Do you think it's safe to try to do so? And no I haven't checked for myself, just called the 1-800 number. But I will check now. Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
@Big Blue thank you!!! I haven't tried to put it in 4low. I was actually kind of nervous too. With the service 4 wheel drive system light on I was scared put it in 4low. Do you think it's safe to try to do so? And no I haven't checked for myself, just called the 1-800 number. But I will check now. Thank you so much!
It should be safe to go ahead and give it a try; If it's the problem I'm thinking it might be, it simply won't allow you to.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
@Big Blue ok I'll try in the morning. How will I know if it doesn't work? And what are you thinking the problem is?
When you go to switch into 4-LOW - it may not allow you to, instead giving you the Service 4WD System error message; Which could be one of 2 things;

Your Final Drive Control Module could need to be re-flashed, or, the actuator motor on your transfer case could be bad and in need of replacement.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Tried to shift into 4low this morning and according to the lights on my dash it went into and out of 4low. So now what??
Bite the bullet & take it to a reputable Jeep/Chrysler dealership and have them run a full diagnostic scan and pull/diagnose all of your DTC's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Your Final Drive Control Module could need to be re-flashed, or, the actuator motor on your transfer case could be bad and in need of replacement.
This smells like ABS issues to me, and it looks like ABS is full off. Service 4wd comes on because 4wd links into your ABS system for ESP engagement.

I'd switch a fuse/relay from another, possibly known good circuit and see if the lights go out. Could be a blown fuse or relay, but the knowledge that this is a second-time occurence leads to me thinking about more systemic issues, like corrosion.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Greetings, I'd be interested to hear what your problem was caused by. My 2006 Commander Limited with a 5.7L and 4WD had the same sequence of lights and performance issues. I pulled a BlueDrive scan with an ABS option and found a bad Speed Sensor in the right front and not hard to fix although there is a certain way to install these speed sensors so not to damage them. Please let me know what you found. Best regards,

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Now saying that, do an ABS scan first to assure your Commander has the same problem as mine. ABS scans typically do not show up as an engine code warning light. Sorry for delay in my response, holidays and all. Best regards!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts