Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First let me say, this forum has helped me with at least a dozen repairs on my Commander, so first and foremost thanks to everyone for all the helpful info!

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7l v8 with Quadra-Trac II. A few days ago the Service 4WD System warning came up and then went off with no symptoms. Today, I started the vehicle and the ESP/BAS lights were lit and the Service 4WD message re-appeared. When I put the vehicle in drive there was a horrible grinding noise that appeared to come from the front driver side, then disappeared and the vehicle drove fine in 2WD with the ESP/BAS lights on. It now consistently repeats this process. Only on start up though! I can put it in N, R, even 4 lo, back into D and everything is fine indefinitely. But if I shut it down and restart it immediately exhibits the grinding noise when hitting the gas, and then it's fine.

The grinding noise is hit gas - grind, grind, grind, pause pause grind grind fine.... Does anyone have any ideas? Transfer case? Transfer case motor?

Thanks advance for any help!!

·
Administrator
15,619 Posts
@PoconoJeeper Welcome to the forum! It is probably a bad wheel speed sensor. Check for codes and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, really? A wheel speed sensor can cause that grinding noise? I'll take it over to Autozone tomorrow and check the codes and get the sensor if so. I replaced a few wheel bearing hubs so seems like an easy job. What a relief if that is all it is... I'll post back with how I make out. Thx!

·
Administrator
15,619 Posts
Wow, really? A wheel speed sensor can cause that grinding noise? I'll take it over to Autozone tomorrow and check the codes and get the sensor if so. I replaced a few wheel bearing hubs so seems like an easy job. What a relief if that is all it is... I'll post back with how I make out. Thx!
@PoconoJeeper You can check for codes yourself by using the "key dance." Turn the key to the "On" position rapidly 3 times. Do not start the vehicle. If there are any codes they will display on the dash.

·
Administrator
15,619 Posts

@PoconoJeeper By the way, your Commander is always in 4WD. It is always in 4-Hi unless you put it into 4-Lo. It can not be put into 2 WD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@PoconoJeeper You can check for codes yourself by using the "key dance." Turn the key to the "On" position rapidly 3 times. Do not start the vehicle. If there are any codes they will display on the dash.
So, I did try the key dance earlier today and got nothing, but upon thinking about it I never got the DTC Report - Done message. I just tried again now (took me 5 times) but I did get a U 1418 code. Any insights?

·
Administrator
15,619 Posts
So, I did try the key dance earlier today and got nothing, but upon thinking about it I never got the DTC Report - Done message. I just tried again now (took me 5 times) but I did get a U 1418 code. Any insights?
It is most likely a bad wheel speed sensor on the right (passeger) side. Take it to Autozone and get them to read it. Their scanner will tell you which one it is. The key dance only tells you which side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see this is indeed the wheel sensor code. My question is that U 1418 is the right wheel sensor, but I am 99% sure the grinding noise is coming from the front left... any ideas?

·
Administrator
15,619 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you're wondering why the sensor going bad can cause the grinding, it's because the ABS/TCS system is activating the brakes on that wheel, due to the discrepancy in wheel speed. In the meantime, you could try turning off the tcs system by pressing and HOLDING the button for 10 seconds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts