Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Before you start to flame me for not searching let me say that I have exhausted the search feature to the point that I am coming to you for help.

I had taken in my Commander a few months ago to have them do some warranty work and while they were there they changed the front diff fluid and reflashed the transmission for the big recall that is out now.

A few weeks after that I tried to put my '06 Commander in 4WD-L and I got the service 4WD system indicator on the dash. I took it back into the dealer and they said the transfer case shift motor had gone bad and it needed to be replaced. They wanted to charge me $750 to do it so I took it back so I could do it myself.

I got a motor from Rockauto.com, threw it on, reset the computer and...the same thing. Indicator on dash said it needed service. I took it back to the dealer and they looked at it and here is what they said, verbatim from the invoice:

"Inspected and found trouble code C140F in final drive control module, checked for 5V reference at motor, 5V present, inspected FDCM wiring, no problems found, check powers and grounds all correctly present, connected jumper wire from signal to drive train return, position sensor reads 0V as it should, aftermarket transfer case shift motor shows to need replacing."

Basically they said the motor I got was bad. Ok, I can see that happening. Rockauto.com was great at allowing me to return the motor and immediately sent me a new one that I received yesterday, which I put on and found that I had the same issue, indicator message on dash saying to service 4WD system. So now I am really skeptical that I had a bad motor to begin with.

I have a call into the dealer to get it back to them but I wanted to ask some real experts to see if anyone has a similar experience or can pint me in the right direction. I have checked all the fuses (including the blue 20V fuse under the hood and it looks fine). Anyone have any other ideas they could share? Thanks.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I hate to say it, but I've been watching threads (here as well as elsewhere) about the update. It looks to me like about every forth recall update somehow turns into an expensive actuator replacement. Like I said on one forum thread, I'M NOT TOUCHING MY COMMANDER. The recall cards that show up in the mail every other week get tossed in the trash.

I tow it behind the motorcoach, (which requires shifting to neutral) and almost every time it comes out of the garage for a road trip, it gets put into low range. I'm not going to break the golden rule: if it works, screw with it not. This is just one more after-the-dealer "bad motor" issue I've read about.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you. I really suspect their recall update has issues, and more than some obscure problem that seems to never happen. Seems to me the recall update creates more crap than it cures.

I'll ask it here: has ANYONE here EVER had their Commander shift itself into neutral? Ever?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so I wanted to follow-up on this so that if anyone else experiences a similar issue they can have some info.

I just got a call from the dealer. They confirmed that the new motor was working but in order to get the FDCM to clear out the error they have to "recalibrate and reload" the FDCM. A simple computer reset by plugging the battery will not work apparently. they wanted to charge me the normal fee to to do this which was $150 but I talked them down on price a bit. I guess that is just another way the dealer insures that they have to do certain jobs on their vehicles.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I hate to say it, but I've been watching threads (here as well as elsewhere) about the update. It looks to me like about every forth recall update somehow turns into an expensive actuator replacement. Like I said on one forum thread, I'M NOT TOUCHING MY COMMANDER. The recall cards that show up in the mail every other week get tossed in the trash.

I tow it behind the motorcoach, (which requires shifting to neutral) and almost every time it comes out of the garage for a road trip, it gets put into low range. I'm not going to break the golden rule: if it works, screw with it not. This is just one more after-the-dealer "bad motor" issue I've read about.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you. I really suspect their recall update has issues, and more than some obscure problem that seems to never happen. Seems to me the recall update creates more crap than it cures.

I'll ask it here: has ANYONE here EVER had their Commander shift itself into neutral? Ever?

Ahmen! If it ain't broke don't fix it! Since I heard about the recall I use my e-brake everywhere! Im not taking mine in until it actually pops out of gear!

·
Registered
3 Posts
same problem

I have run into the same problem. I took mine to the dealer for an oil change, they fixed the recall and now I am getting the "Service 4wd system" I found out when I had to go into 4 low also. Waiting to take it to the dealer now.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My XK has NEVER been in 4-low so why is mine doing this and only after the recall. Shouldn't chrysler fix this for free? My XK has been flawless for 38,000 miles.

I also have the lifetime power train warranty. My t-case is a little overdue for service and I will be doing that next weekend.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The only time my EVIC says "service 4wd system soon" is when the engine is cranking. So today I go out and for the first time ever I try to put it into 4-low and I get the message in the EVIC. I, of course, tried to put the Jeep into 4-low with the tranny in "N" and nothing.

So what is my next step? The Jeep has a lifetime power train warranty. Will this be covered? I never had the EVIC warning before I got the recall done,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jeep doesn't think there is a correlation between the update and the T case actuator failure, even though my 4WD low worked great until the N23 update was preformed. See my post in the "recall 469,000" thread.

I guess not enough of us have complained directly to Chrysler/Jeep. I encourage everyone with this problem to call the Jeep hotline (800) 853-1403.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well you guys had me worried I just tried the 4wd low yesturday and I heard it engage and drove it a bit to the front with no warning lights, fewww I think I'm good.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
My XK has NEVER been in 4-low so why is mine doing this and only after the recall. Shouldn't chrysler fix this for free? My XK has been flawless for 38,000 miles.

I also have the lifetime power train warranty. My t-case is a little overdue for service and I will be doing that next weekend.
Go find an empty gravel or grass lot, engage your 4 low and drive around a bit making sure you make a couple of tight turns in both directions. Your low range should be exercised to ensure everything engages and disengages properly, IMHO. Cheers. Jorge

·
Registered
953 Posts
Your low range should be exercised to ensure everything engages and disengages properly, IMHO. Cheers. Jorge
You should check your low range with someone you love... ;)

·
Administrator
16,153 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
update

I took mine in to the dealer, they were already familiar with the recall issue and what it was causing because several owners had already been there before me. They looked it over said it was an actuator failure and they will order the part and replace it for free since it was there mess up. It blew my mind that they admitted it. I think I just might keep giving this dealership my business.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I took mine in to the dealer, they were already familiar with the recall issue and what it was causing because several owners had already been there before me. They looked it over said it was an actuator failure and they will order the part and replace it for free since it was there mess up. It blew my mind that they admitted it. I think I just might keep giving this dealership my business.
That must be one of the very few good dealers left in the nation. The norm is to deny all knowledge, then sell you a set of ball joints you don't need for $1795 on top of charging you for THEIR screw up of the "fix." Where is this place?!? It might be worth a drive across the country to go there. ;)

This whole thing is making me think of how I deal with Android apps on my phone. I've turned off ALL automatic updates, even system apps like Gmail. Only after waiting awhile and reading reviews of other users do I ever update an app. 75% of the time, I don't because the app suddenly has ads or a cool feature has been hacked out. In other words, let someone else do the suffering instead. :crazy:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.