Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The message 'Service 4WD' has come up on my dash along with the traction control icon and light near the lower center of the cluster.

The manual does not explain this. I have 29,600 miles on it. This happened when it just turned 29,000 miles, and has not happened again until today.

What does this mean? Is it a maintenance warning light or does it indicate that there is something wrong?

Frank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
....Bump....

Hope somebody can help me with this. I notice no difference at all in operation. Just those messages and lights comming on. Turn Jeep off and they don't come back upon restart. But they will show up randomly.
This just started happening recently. It had a reprogramming when new for the service 4wd message. Stayed off all of these years until last month.

Jeep techs please advise.....

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
....Bump....

Hope somebody can help me with this. I notice no difference at all in operation. Just those messages and lights comming on. Turn Jeep off and they don't come back upon restart. But they will show up randomly.
This just started happening recently. It had a reprogramming when new for the service 4wd message. Stayed off all of these years until last month.

Jeep techs please advise.....
I have this same issue. It comes and goes and I haven't figured out the cause. The dealer looked at a year ago, flashed the computer, but it comes back every few months.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Have any off you done the key dance to get the fault codes? Or if you cannot get that to work just goto autozone and they will scan it for free.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine ended up being a shorted wire in the harness going into the front diff that controlled the electronic part of the diff locker. I could reset the code but a few days later it would come back on.

I ended up replacing the electronic diff fork and the harness

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Mine doesn't throw a code. I have done the "key dance" as well as used my Innova DTC scanner. Both indicate no codes present.

As soon as you switch the key off and back on, the lights and the EVIC message disappear.

This is the same behavior that is outlined in the TSB for 2006 vehicles. Mine is not a 2006 but a very early 2007 (ordered on the day that order banks for 2007s opened).

The dealership supposedly reflashed the FDCM, but it still intermittently happens. It usually happens in freeway driving or surface streets in dry conditions. I can not detect if it has actually deactivated the 4WD.

I am curious if it could possibly caused by the fact that I am running a slightly bigger than stock tire (245/70R17 vs the stock 245/65R17). If I knew that was a cause I would pick up the AEV XK EGR module. However, I don't want to drop nearly $300 on something that MIGHT fix the problem.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't think it's because of your tires, a lot of members are running larger tires and don't have that problem. This might be an item that you have to go back to the dealer with. Maybe someone else might chime in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Brake Light Switch?

My '08 had similar warning lights, intermittent. While warning lights were on the cruise control would not work.

Turned out the brake light switch had a problem, causing the computer to think the brakes were being applied under acceleration, which in turn caused the warning lights to come on. Since the brake switch also turns the cruise control off, when it stuck the cruise couldn't be turned on.

I imagine a few people following me had some unkind words when the brake lights came on at oddball times. :bangin:

Dealer covered under warranty.

HTH

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts