Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 commander showed a message telling me to service my 4x4 system. The low range would not engage. About an hour later, I stopped for gas, and on restart, the message stopped. The lowrange was working again. About 15 minutes later, the "engine" symbol came on steady. The manual states something like a loose gas cap could have caused the engine symbol to come on, and a steady light is not a major problem. Coincedental on the 2 lights?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
code report

I did the 3 times on-off trick and got a code: p2098. The "service 4x4 sys" light is back, and the car w/n go into low range. The code is emissions related, so the engine symbol is most likely not part of the 4x4 system problem.

·
Registered
480 Posts
P2098- Downstream Fuel Trim, System 2 Lean. Probably an oxygen sensor, maybe electronic module malfunction, bad fuel or engine issue.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P2098- Downstream Fuel Trim, System 2 Lean. Probably an oxygen sensor, maybe electronic module malfunction, bad fuel or engine issue.
Well, the module is covered under warranty, the o2 sensor might be past the warranty period. I had just fueled, maybe it was bad gas. I read somewhere that the vehicle will log 3 trips, then reset if no new codes are thrown. I do not know where the sensor for " System 2" is located. The cost of just putting in the sensor will no doubt be cheaper than a trip to the shop.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
service 4x4 message, and the tech service bulletin

From my previous posting, I got the info about the TSB on the Service 4x4 System erroneous fault warning. Now I have a question: if you get the fault warning, and your low range will not engage, is the problem more than an erroneous fault warning?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Why didn't you post this in your original thread instead of starting a new one ?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Threads merged!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
battery the culprit?

The battery had problems a couple days ago. It had a dead cell. Replaced it, and the low range is back, the service 4x4 and engine light are out .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts