Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone compared the online manuals (like chiltons) to the factory manual you pay to download?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Compared? No but I bought a $16 online manual that I can't get to open in anything.

If anyone knows of a decently priced downloadable manual for an 06 5.7L, please share.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compared? No but I bought a $16 online manual that I can't get to open in anything.

If anyone knows of a decently priced downloadable manual for an 06 5.7L, please share.
Did the vendor offer any solutions? Care to name names and save the rest of us a possible hassle?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Did the vendor offer any solutions? Care to name names and save the rest of us a possible hassle?
I have one for the 07 Commander, but it opens only in IE Explorer.
The wiring part of it opens only in IE6.

I found one of the bugs, you have to remove this line:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8">
from the 2007XK/en_US/default-wi.htm code, line 4 I think and you get
an index for it. I am working on the rest of it.
:domotwak:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Some tradebit company or someone through them. It was late, I found them through google. The told me to use explorer and to start by opening an index file (the readme instructions told me to ope. A different file). I also bought winzip just to open it all properly and still nothing.

Haven't got back to me with any more help and it's been a week and a half now since they got back to me that one time.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
471 Posts
Where the f are the pdf's at? Thats all I'm sayin. Winters comin and I have a sunroof leak the dealer keeps failing to fix properly lol

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
rjhj said:

I suspect he got a copy of the electronic dealer manual off ebay. There has been a copy of it floating around the internet, and someone started selling it on ebay.

I 'think', if you spend the $100+ for a manual from Chrysler Tech Authority, you get a .pdf.

In general Chilton's are better then Hayne's, factory manuals bet them all. But Factory manuals, unless you find a used paper copy on ebay, are going to cost 5 times as much. I don't think Chiltron or Haynes made a Commander Manual, but I think any 2006-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee manual would be very helpful, other than the body, its just about identical in parts and design. Don't know if they even made a Grand Cherokee manual for those years either.

Beware the electronic copies of manuals being sold on ebay, likely they are NOT .pdf's, they are bootleg/illegal copies of dealer's manuals that are designed to run on the Dealer network of computers and may NOT run on up to date computers you have at home.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Wasn't ebay, was a dedicated manual selling company I pulled out through google. Definitely not a PDF though, still trying to get it to work lol

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Wasn't ebay, was a dedicated manual selling company I pulled out through google. Definitely not a PDF though, still trying to get it to work lol

What type of file is it ?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Net even sure now. They sent me a new link to download it again, when I did I saved it over the 1st one. Now I can't even unzip the new one and I no longer have the old one. It's supposed to open through iexplorer or Firefox but I can't remember the file ext.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
We may be talking about two different versions of the manual, but the one that is being sold off e-bay that is really difficult to work with; its a .html index file that uses activeX applications to view several folders worth of drawings and text that make up the manual. Later version of web browsers don't support it, I'm guessing if you open it in compatiblity mode in I.E. some of it might work, like people have been saying, the wiring diagrams can't be viewed.

·
Registered
471 Posts
They just refunded most of my money, still looking for a decently priced reliable manual if anyone has suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
You could try Chilton's Online, they have online manuals you subscribe to and can read, they claim they have a 2009 Jeep Commander section, but I didn't pay the subscription fee to find out.
http://s-www.chiltondiy.com/

You can try this:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Chilton-40604-05-09-Grand-Cherokee/dp/B003GDSOJC/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323717019&sr=8-3-fkmr1[/ame]

Its a 2005-2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Chiltons for $16.99. I haven't seen a Chilton's or Haynes for the Commander yet, don't think they made one. BUT, even though they are different platforms, the GC and the Commander are very similiar mechanically, all the same equipment and lay out, etc. When I help my brother with his '07 GC, its all identical to my Commander Mechanically.

Yes, the Commander was based on the GC, they made enough changes to the body and interior that they made a new Platform designation. But the mechanical stuff, comparing between my brothers 2007 GC and my 2010 Commander, I can't find any difference.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Pacific coast manuals, that's the one that didn't work for me. I got 12 of my 16 dollars back. Lol.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm looking for a full manual, body and all. Haynes I spoke to directly, they didn't even have one in the works. I told them they were missing out on a very hands on crowd and referenced this site even. They passed it on up the ladder but who knows if or even when.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts