Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along today and I heard a chime... look down at the EVIC and it says to "service park assist system". got home put in reverse, the system beeped and then 4 red dots showed up on the reverse distance indicator. Had two more trips after that same thing happened on all of them.

From what I can tell this is usually caused by ESM issues? But then again people said they had others issues as well such as hesitation and limp mode activation. I have none of those so not sure if this really will fix it or not. Guess I will pull the ESM apart this weekend and clean the guts. Anyone know for sure if this fixed their problem? or if you had other issues what helped?

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Driving along today and I heard a chime... look down at the EVIC and it says to "service park assist system". got home put in reverse, the system beeped and then 4 red dots showed up on the reverse distance indicator. Had two more trips after that same thing happened on all of them.

From what I can tell this is usually caused by ESM issues? But then again people said they had others issues as well such as hesitation and limp mode activation. I have none of those so not sure if this really will fix it or not. Guess I will pull the ESM apart this weekend and clean the guts. Anyone know for sure if this fixed their problem? or if you had other issues what helped?
There is a short in your back-up/park assist sensor and you'll most likely wind up having to replace it.

This exact problem has happened to me, so, I speak from experience.

Overtime these sensors can sometimes get water/moisture in them and this will cause them to eventually short out.

You can try taking the sensor apart and cleaning it, depending on how bad the corrosion is - it may or may not help.

It was cheap enough, so, I just opted to replace the sensor and know that it will be good for another 8 years or so instead if fiddling around with it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Blue are you talking about the sensors in the bumper, or the control unit under the second seat? If it is a rear sensor how did you determine which one? Mine has been doing this for a year, but I usually have a bike rack on so I have not worried about it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also have a sensor problem and would like to replace it. Anyone have a part number? How is it replaced?

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya what these guys said!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you replace all four rear sensors or the sending unit? I was going to try cleaning the rear connectors off as well before the ESM. GIVE US MORE INFO!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Blue are you talking about the sensors in the bumper, or the control unit under the second seat? If it is a rear sensor how did you determine which one? Mine has been doing this for a year, but I usually have a bike rack on so I have not worried about it.
The sensor in the bumper creek.

I took it to the dealership and they did some troubleshooting and read the EVIC/DTC and determined the sensor in the bumper was bad.

They replaced it and no more issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had this problem on my 2008 4.7 Sport.
I disconnected the wire harness connector for the bumper sensors (located under the drivers side corner of the rear bumper). The connector was oriented so the open end of the connector outer half was pointing up, so that any water splashed driving on wet roads could run down into the connector. I pulled it apart, used contact cleaner and electric grease.
Haven't had any more problems.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I pulled the main plug sprayed it down with contact cleaner and put it back together but it didn't fix it. Guess I will try the sane with the four actual sensors. Hopefully that fixes it...

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
So I pulled the main plug sprayed it down with contact cleaner and put it back together but it didn't fix it. Guess I will try the sane with the four actual sensors. Hopefully that fixes it...
I won't say "I told you so" when you wind up having to replace a bad sensor in the rear bumper.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I won't say "I told you so" when you wind up having to replace a bad sensor in the rear bumper.
Ya I figured that would end up being the solution, just wish there was a way to figure out which one it is without having to go to the dealership....

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Ya I figured that would end up being the solution, just wish there was a way to figure out which one it is without having to go to the dealership....
Sometimes you just have to eat it and go where they have the proper diagnostic equipment.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I too had this service park assist message. It often wouldn’t come on until a minute or two after I started the vehicle, though sometimes it would come in immediately. If I was lucky enough to catch it before the message came on, it seemed to work normally. From what I could tell, it was probably cheaper for me to shotgun parts than to actually take it in to a dealer for troubleshooting, or buy the proper diagnostic equipment. Here’s what I did to troubleshoot and repair the system.

Since I could occasionally get a minute or so of use out of it before the message came on and it disabled itself, I turned the key to “on” without the engine running to keep things quiet and put it in reverse. I put my ear to each sensor and made sure I could hear the ticking from each one, which I could. If the “service park assist” message came on, I would shut down the ignition and turn it back to on to get another try until I was finished.

All my sensors passed this test. Then I opened the rear glass to hear the park assist speaker and repeated the process, but this time I would stand to the side and put my hand a foot or so back from each sensor, and move it toward and away from each one, making sure to only deal with one sensor at a time. I listened for the beep differences from the speaker for each sensor as I put my hand closer and this told me that each sensor was working properly.

I had to shut the truck off a few times to get all this done, but once it was completed, I felt that the sensors were probably fine. I cleaned all the connectors anyway, and still was having issues.

I decided to order a new park assist module from e-bay, paid about $70. It’s located under the left rear middle seat, and took me about 67 seconds to replace, without the use of tools. The park assist system seems to be working well now, case closed.

I hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Guys

Having an issue (again) with parking assist. I have had 4 sensors replaced over the last 18 months. I am a good parker as wel so can probably do without it TBH!

I am in the middle of a few other issues (posted in new thread) but the parking assist is driving me mad. Its saying it needs servicing and I cant turn the system off. So its constantly beeping at me.
I cant afford to get it done at the moment - but if I disconnect the box under the rear seat will I have disconnected any other systems? Its the black box just for the parking assist and nothing else?

Thanks in advance.

Stu

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Guys

Having an issue (again) with parking assist. I have had 4 sensors replaced over the last 18 months. I am a good parker as wel so can probably do without it TBH!

I am in the middle of a few other issues (posted in new thread) but the parking assist is driving me mad. Its saying it needs servicing and I cant turn the system off. So its constantly beeping at me.
I cant afford to get it done at the moment - but if I disconnect the box under the rear seat will I have disconnected any other systems? Its the black box just for the parking assist and nothing else?

Thanks in advance.

Stu
I don't believe it would affect anything else if you disconnect it. Even if it did, it wouldn't harm anything to disconnect it and see what happens. If it has any unwanted effects on other systems, you could always plug it back in!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I unplugged the module and everything seemed fine. I am a bit nervous though that I will be bowling down the road at 60mph and find out the ABS isn't plugged in all of a sudden!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the same symptoms on my '07 XK. It has been working fine from time to time, but sometimes the system will state Parking assist service and the entire system shuts off.
I was told by the dealership that it was a faulty sensor that should be replaced. They said that it was sensor number seven from their diagnostic tool.
My question is, which sensor is number seven? Is it as simple as left front driver sensor is number one and then just count clockwise? Does anybody know or have a diagram of these sensors?
Sorry for all the questions but all help is much appriciated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts