Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Dose anyone know why or what it means when u first start the jeep up the perform service light/sign appears on the dash, and after take off \drive for about 1 or 2 minute it will turn off\go away untill u start up the next time. This is on a 07 jeep commander 3.7 v 6 engine, when we first got it after a week we had to take it back to the dealer because it will allways stay on. So the clear the code and it never came back until now which is a mount later.The jeep is used and we got it with 50,000+ miles and now has 53,230 miles on it. I just changed the oil on it 2 days ago, thxs for any info.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Try resetting the service interval in the EVIC.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
The computer does not know when you change your oil, you set it to remind you every 3,000 miles (or what ever you set it at) and you must reset it each time you change your oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THX All, But i forget to mention this started befor i change the oil and only when i replaced the 4 coil spring with lowering springs.So i am wondering if any senser my be out of place not sure if that will be the case.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
THX All, But i forget to mention this started befor i change the oil and only when i replaced the 4 coil spring with lowering springs.So i am wondering if any senser my be out of place not sure if that will be the case.
On 2006 and 2007 Commanders there is no sensor for changing the oil. You set the change interval reminder yourself in the EVIC. Check your owner's manual for instructions.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Like Jeep5253 says, there is no sensor for oil changes. Earlier Jeeps just had the PCM track mileage and light the light, later jeeps have an alogrythm the PCM tracks several factors and depending on how you drive and the conditions you drive, it will light the light when the alogrythm says you need an oil change. Do the procedure to reset the warning, which is basically telling the PCM, you changed the oil.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does anyone have a quick link that shows how to reset the Service message? I watched how my was counting down for about 1,500 miles on my 2007 and yesterday the message finally came on came on as well.

I figured the countdown was for oil (and other services) but my dealership changed the oil just about 2 months ago when I bought it. I guess they didn't reset the computer.

Since I have a 2007, I don't get a change oil message...Is this the same as "oil change indicator reset"?

1. Ignition switch to "on position" without starting the engine
2. Fully Depress the accelerator pedal slowly 3 times within 10 seconds
3. Turn ignition switch to the LOCK position

·
Registered
147 Posts
Use the step button over the climate controls to cycle thru the menu. When you get to the service you can hit reset to start the count over or the menu? (I think) to change it to different mileage settings. I think they range 3000-5000 in 500 increments.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have a later Commander, 2010, it uses an Algorithm in the PCM to track oil usage and post a message in the EVIC telling you "Oil Change Required". There are no options to change the interval in the User Configuration Menus, it will vary based on how you drive and the conditions you drive in, that is what the algorithm in the PCM does, tracks those conditions, if they are mild which makes the oil last longer it waits it will set the warning later, if the conditions are severe which makes the oil last a shorter time, it will set the warning earlier.

You can reset the "Oil Change Required" warning with the posted procedure about turning the key, pressing the gas pedal 3 times, the EVIC will change the message to "Oil Change Reminder Reset" for a few seconds, to tell you it reset. The reminder can only be reset once its been lit, doing the procedure when the reminder is NOT set, won't do anything. You can only reset it after the reminder comes on.

Earlier Commanders have a simple mileage counter that reminds you to change the oil. I'm NOT sure, cause I don't have an earlier Commander, but the mileage counter is configurable in the User Configuration Menu, you just change the mileage that it will count down. How do you reset the earlier mileage counter, I don't know? Seems people are posting, part of the User Configuration Menu is a reset of the reminder, that you would use after changing the oil. If its wrong, then likely the later "turn the key and press the gas pedal 3 times", might be the reset.

I think, meaning I could be wrong, 08-10 Commanders have the PCM Algorithm tracking oil changes. 06-07 Commanders have the simple mileage counter for tracking oil changes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the replies...
I went through the menu option yesterday and saw that I can reset it and also set the interval to what ever I wish as you guys pointed out. I'm reading that the oil can go 6,000 miles on the Hemi under regular conditions (no dusty conditions, towing, etc).

The oil and filter was changed by the dealership right before I bought it, at about 95,500 miles and I'm now almost at 100k...so I'll change the setting this time to 1,000 miles to let me know its due.

Then after that, maybe set it for every 5,000. I'm not too crazy about 6,000 between changes. I'll have to read up on that more in the forums.

I'm so used to changing oil every 2,000 miles on my older cars...something to get used to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts