Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, fairly new Commander owner and first time poster, I hope someone can help me :icon_smile:

I have a 2007 4.7L with QTII and 62000km on the clock, recently I had the "service 4wd system" message and the engine light remained on. After consulting the manual and a quick search here, I decided to just see how it went. After the 1st time I no longer got the message and after several trips the engine light no longer remained illuminated, happy days.

Then after a few weeks the message came up again and the Jeep was difficult to start, slightly worried I still just let it be and all returned to normal again as it did previously. Then it started coming up with the "service 4wd system" message again and showed this every time I drove the Jeep for a couple of days, now getting more worried.

I had to work away for a week and upon returning was eager to jump in the big girl and go for a spin, to my shattered dismay it would start and then shut off within 2 seconds!! I tried to start it with plenty of noise pedal but again it ran roughly then shut off. After several attempts, the battery gave up and is now on charge.

I managed to do the key trick and got a "done" from the DTC check, can someone please help me as the Commander is now stuck in the driveway whilst I am on holidays and the beaches are begging for me :5:

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,964 Posts
Get a new battery.

·
Registered
65 Posts
yeah, battery is a good shout..............if you have a voltmeter check the battery voltage across the terminals when you have charged it with ignition off...........should be 12-13v, then start her up and check the voltage across the terminals again. Should be just over 14v from the alternator and if not its that thats gone and its not charging the battery correctly..........good luck dude!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Could also be the Starter Wiring Harness

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If the Jeep starts but then shuts off within 2 seconds its not the battery. There is some other problem causing it to turn off. You can start your Jeep and take the battery out and it will stay running.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The harness on XK's are known for corrosion on the connectors. Move the wire alittle then try to start the XK and if it starts then u have your answer. It happen to mine. Took me 3 days and 2 friends to figure it out. Matt knew right away.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I agree that the starter wiring is a common issue, however at the same time the OP stated that the Jeep starts but dies a few seconds later. That makes me think the starter wiring harness most likely isnt the issue.

·
Registered
244 Posts
@07. The same happen to my XK.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Jeep will start, then die within 2 seconds if the chipped key doesn't match. In other words, you can use a cut blank key, such as an open-the-door-only spare, and that's exactly how it acts: starts up fine, then dies exactly 2 seconds later. It's a theft prevention device. The key communicates with the computer. If that's the case, there should be a little round red light on the dash that won't go out when the key's turned on.

Something happened to the key, or the wiring harness itself. Try another "fat head" (chipped) key, such as your spare, and see if that one works okay. If not, then it's probably time to tow it to a dealer so the diagnostic codes can be read. If the spare works okay, then you need a second working key to make a third for a spare. (It's in the manual about how to program them) If not, the dealer can make a spare, but it's not cheap. :(

If you know someone with a Superchips programmer, (Maybe it's time to buy one :) )that can show you error codes in plain English.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
@07. The same happen to my XK.

So your saying that your Commander would start and then a few seconds later die out and it turned out to be the wiring harness on the starter? That really doesnt make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The Jeep will start, then die within 2 seconds if the chipped key doesn't match. In other words, you can use a cut blank key, such as an open-the-door-only spare, and that's exactly how it acts: starts up fine, then dies exactly 2 seconds later. It's a theft prevention device. The key communicates with the computer. If that's the case, there should be a little round red light on the dash that won't go out when the key's turned on.

Something happened to the key, or the wiring harness itself. Try another "fat head" (chipped) key, such as your spare, and see if that one works okay. If not, then it's probably time to tow it to a dealer so the diagnostic codes can be read. If the spare works okay, then you need a second working key to make a third for a spare. (It's in the manual about how to program them) If not, the dealer can make a spare, but it's not cheap. :(

If you know someone with a Superchips programmer, (Maybe it's time to buy one :) )that can show you error codes in plain English.
Good point. I wonder if he is trying to use a new cut key that wasnt programmed properly? Cause that would definitely make it die out after a few seconds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey all, thanks heaps for the replies, I have eliminated some things so far I think.

It is not the battery, tried a new one and same problem. Pretty sure it is not the key, only ever got 1 with it and never had a problem before. Wiring harness is a maybe and will look into that one, can someone please explain where I should start checking????

It starts and runs, but runs rough then stops. Second attempt it just starts and runs very rough, almost like a fuel issue then stops. Any further attempts to start her within the following hour are futile. I seem to think it is an O2 sensor or something like that causing the problem?? Anyone had issues with these and can point me in the right direction?

I am quite mechanical but there is more electronics than mechanics at work in this baby so I am a little confused as to what it could be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Call off the dogs!!! She lives again :-D I went to check the key was turning off the stereo anti theft and do the key flick check for fault codes again, just for the hell of it tried to start the big girl and she roared into life and began to purr like the big cat she is :) at least now I can get it down to get the fault codes checked properly to see wtf is going on, much more relieved but also want an answer before heading beach bound again :-/

Thanks again all for your tips and help, it is greatly appreciated :) I have the biggest grin now and am off to burn some gas and enjoy the ride :-D

·
Registered
953 Posts
I still find this case rather odd and still don't understand what changed that she's running fine again.

Originally, I was going to suggest a failing alternator. However, if things are magically working now, I'd go with a wiring fault somewhere.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'd be concerned about the running rough business. The anti-theft will let it run for 2 seconds, but it runs NORMALLY.

Could be the MASS air sensor is dirty. CAREFULLY pull the intake air tubing apart and look for the inline device with a fine hair wire running across the opening. CAREFULLY clean it, as it probably has little greasy "dust mice" hanging from it. (Especially with an oil based aftermarket K&N filter) If the MASS air sensor can't read the flowing air properly, the computer doesn't know what to do, and feeds the wrong values to the fuel injectors. I know from experiance that problem will strand a Ford Expedition. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with Anondo I had that same problem it did turn out to be the key. I have not checked for pricing to fix it yet cause I have a backup but I was told it was an expensive key to fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My apologies guys I was a dumb [email protected]@ and didn't read the last page before typing LOL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I have had no dramas for over a week now so hoping all is good. I have noticed that if I unlock and lock the car without starting it, say to get something out, when I next start the car I often get the "service 4wd system" note but no engine light?? I am fairy confident it is an issue with the battery and possibly the key battery. Will replace the battery next week and see if that fixes the issue. Thanks again all for your help, now just to save and start modding the big girl :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts