Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Removing the Actuator & Shifting the Transfer Case Manually

Hello! I am a long time lurker and now a proud owner of a 2006 Commander Limited with the 5.7 Hemi. When I purchased my Commander, it had a broken wire in the front LSD actuator. It is now fixed, but it got me thinking. Prior to fixing the actuator, it would not shift into 4lo or shift the transfer case into neutral. I plan on towing my commander behind my motor home and am concerned that at some point in the future it will again not allow me to shift into neutral and I will be stuck with a motor home and a jeep that both need to be driven home.

This is a long-winded way of asking everyone here whether it is possible to remove the 4wd actuator and manually shift the transfer case. I have taken the actuator off and it looks like you could just insert a splined shaft (with the proper dimensions) and shift it manually. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New Member Introduction

Hello. I just purchased a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited with the Hemi. This vehicle will be replacing my previous Jeep Wrangler (TJ). The Commander makes more sense for my family situation at this point in time (3 kids and wife). My overall goal is to complete the Trans America Trail with it. I will not be able to complete the entire trail in one huge lump, but will plan to do it in pieces as I get time.

I just finished installing a RRO lift and new Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires (245/75/R17). I am loving the machine and the comforts it provides--substantially more creature comforts over my old TJ!

I look forward to contributing and learning from everyone here on the site.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just a thought - Wouldn't it be easier to disconnect the driveshafts?

One of my mechanics towed the 'mander by disconnecting the rear driveshaft and lifting the front. Something like that could work with a rented dolly as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a thought - Wouldn't it be easier to disconnect the driveshafts?

One of my mechanics towed the 'mander by disconnecting the rear driveshaft and lifting the front. Something like that could work with a rented dolly as well.
Good point, but it would be much easier to remove the actuator and manually shift it, at least for me. I would also like to have a workaround for manually putting it in 4 low. I am just brainstorming.

Thanks for your response. Removing the driveshafts would always work in a pinch. It is a guaranteed fix.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hello. I just purchased a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited with the Hemi. This vehicle will be replacing my previous Jeep Wrangler (TJ). The Commander makes more sense for my family situation at this point in time (3 kids and wife). My overall goal is to complete the Trans America Trail with it. I will not be able to complete the entire trail in one huge lump, but will plan to do it in pieces as I get time.

I just finished installing a RRO lift and new Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires (245/75/R17). I am loving the machine and the comforts it provides--substantially more creature comforts over my old TJ!

I look forward to contributing and learning from everyone here on the site.
Welcome to the forum @Jimbotime;

Post some pics of your Commander when you can; Here are some links to help you out if you want to do any future upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Good point, but it would be much easier to remove the actuator and manually shift it, at least for me. I would also like to have a workaround for manually putting it in 4 low. I am just brainstorming.

Thanks for your response. Removing the driveshafts would always work in a pinch. It is a guaranteed fix.
@Jimbotime ; I missed this question initially;

I'm fairly certain this can't be done.

The Commander 4WD systems with the NV245 2 speed transfer case, which are both the QT-II and QD-II 4WD systems, to my knowledge, are not designed to be shifted into or out of 4 LOW manually - at least not by removing the actuator motor.

The actuator motor is a required component of the Final drive Control Module which is the module/software responsible for shifting the transfer case; Without a functioning actuator motor on the transfer case, you will not be able shift into or out of 4 LOW, manually or otherwise and the final drive control module will not function.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

@Jimbotime ; I missed this question initially;

I'm fairly certain this can't be done.

The Commander 4WD systems with the NV245 2 speed transfer case, which are both the QT-II and QD-II 4WD systems, to my knowledge, are not designed to be shifted into or out of 4 LOW manually - at least not by removing the actuator motor.

The actuator motor is a required component of the Final drive Control Module which is the module/software responsible for shifting the transfer case; Without a functioning actuator motor on the transfer case, you will not be able shift into or out of 4 LOW, manually or otherwise and the final drive control module will not function.

At least, that's my understanding of it.
Thanks for the response. I agree the FDCM needs the proper actuator signal to properly function. So, that elimitates the option of manually shifting to 4 low and driving. What about manually shifting into neutral and flat towing? The Jeep would not be running, so there would be no issues with the FDCM.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks for the response. I agree the FDCM needs the proper actuator signal to properly function. So, that elimitates the option of manually shifting to 4 low and driving. What about manually shifting into neutral and flat towing? The Jeep would not be running, so there would be no issues with the FDCM.
I'm not 100% sure I'm following you and I don't want to give you bad information.

Can you elaborate a little bit on what I bolded above?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You should be able to shift it into neutral without the jeep running and flat tow it behind your motor home I see 4x4 jeeps being flat pulled all the time. Happy travels to you

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
You should be able to shift it into neutral without the jeep running and flat tow it behind your motor home I see 4x4 jeeps being flat pulled all the time. Happy travels to you
Yes, that makes sense, the OP had me a little confused when he kept bringing up manually shifting the transfer case - putting your XK into neutral is not doing that - your just putting it in neutral - nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, that makes sense, you had me a little confused when you kept bringing up manually shifting the transfer case - putting your XK into neutral is not doing that - your just putting it in neutral - nothing more, nothing less.
I am sorry I was not more clear. I will try to clarify further. I want to flat tow my Jeep Commander, but it will occasionally not shift the transfer case into neutral which is required to flat tow it (the dreaded N23 I cannot seem to get corrected). I am wondering if I could remove the transfer case shift actuator and just manually shift the transfer case into neutral. The actuator is a modified spine shaft I am confident I could make a manual shifter for.

I know this is an off-the-wall question, but with the stupid N23 issue always reoccurring, I am looking for a workaround. I was hoping someone else had thought of and had done this. Maybe I will be the guinea pig. If so, I will post back about how it works.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did your truck ever have the n23 recall patch applied? They also did a P73 recall which was supposed to fix the n23 debacle. It worked for some. Also many have worked around this issue by pulling a certain fuse and resetting it to get it to work properly. In not sure which fuse it is. If it happens to you a lot you could rig up up a switch to that fuse which disengages it and then re-engages it, making it easier for you when the problem crops up. If it is the fuse for the final drive computer which is located under the second row seat, you could put the switch under there for easy access to the power wire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did your truck ever have the n23 recall patch applied? They also did a P73 recall which was supposed to fix the n23 debacle. It worked for some. Also many have worked around this issue by pulling a certain fuse and resetting it to get it to work properly. In not sure which fuse it is. If it happens to you a lot you could rig up up a switch to that fuse which disengages it and then re-engages it, making it easier for you when the problem crops up. If it is the fuse for the final drive computer which is located under the second row seat, you could put the switch under there for easy access to the power wire.
Yes, I have had teh N23 and P73 completed. My FDCM is still quite flaky. I have the Bluedriver app/dongle and am able to clear the code when it comes up, but it will occasionally not let me clear it. The whole system is unreliable. Maybe the fuse trick would clear the code even when the app will not let me clear it. I will try that next time the problem rears its ugly head.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Yes, I have had teh N23 and P73 completed. My FDCM is still quite flaky. I have the Bluedriver app/dongle and am able to clear the code when it comes up, but it will occasionally not let me clear it. The whole system is unreliable. Maybe the fuse trick would clear the code even when the app will not let me clear it. I will try that next time the problem rears its ugly head.
@Jimbotime;

There are a few members here that I have spoke to directly, that have confirmed they had to have the FDCM software re-flashed 3 times consecutively, to get the software update to permanently take.

There is also the possibility that the actuator motor on your transfer case is actually bad (they are a known point of failure on the 2 speed NV245 transfer cases, that the QT-II & QD-II 4WD systems use) and needs to be replaced.

As far as I know, there is no way to by-pass the actuator motor & manually shift the transfer case as you have brought up.

Once upon a time (Before the P73 campaign came out) I had the dreaded Service 4WD System alarm pop up on my EVIC when I tried to drop down into 4-LOW. The dealership I took it to diagnosed the problem as a bad transfer case actuator motor and replaced it. $638.00 later the problem was solved and never returned.

However when the P73 campaign was released about 6 months later, I submitted a claim for reimbursement and was paid quite quickly by FCA less than 2 weeks later. Shortly thereafter I also had the P73 software reflash of the FDCM completed.

So what was really the problem? The transfer case actuator motor - or the P73 software reflash of the FDCM?

I guess the truth is, I'll never know 100% for certain, but, that was 3 years or so ago, and I've never had another problem with it since and in the end, it cost me nothing but some of my time.

Here is the thread that details my experience with my transfer case actuator motor repair & the P73 campaign, as well as the timeline of events and how I went about submitting my claim for reimbursement for anyone that may be interested:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/50641-chrysler-jeep-p73-campaign-4.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts