Jeep Commander Forum banner

Shifts HARD into second gear

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Doggonedk 
#1 ·
Hoping for a little help from anyone. I have a NAG1 transmission that shifts fine in every aspect, except when it goes from 1st to 2nd. When it shifts it slams really hard. It almost feels like being rear-ended. Any ideas out there?

#8 ·
I thought my transmission was shifting hard until I realized the upper differential mount was shot. Replaced that and the transmission was smooth as butter. ...just something to check if you haven't already.

Reactions: dar124
#9 ·
@CommanderHalas
I made a signature for you from the data you had entered, change if you wish. It would be nice if you provider the model like Limited or Sport.
To make or modify a Signature click here for instructions - Signature - How to make or modify

Reactions: CommanderHalas
#11 ·
If you have the "Tow/Haul" button, you might press it and see how it shifts using the lower shifting action.

Reactions: jklightner
#13 ·
nothing for nothing, but the NAG1 has to be filled professionally (its based on temperature since there is no "dipstick" and one has to be purchased separately) so if a dealer did the flush you're good. Otherwise - Transmission fluid filling increments.....

#14 ·
#16 ·
I'm not familiar with that nag1 transmission but does it have the ability to shift manually? Just curious if it does if you shift it manually rather than letting the valve body do the thinking does it still do it? Just curious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.