1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 1 September, 2011 9:56:52 PM EDT
To: Rocky Road Outfitters
Subject: Re: Thank you for your Rocky Road Outfitters Order
I suggest you support your CAN customers with more than a frown.
I'll alert other Canadians of these charges so they won't be double billed as I was with frown reply. The internet is a powerful tool to share customer experiences with other potential buyers/victims ;^}
Go Canada Go
Down with 60% added costs to your billing.

On 2011-09-01, at 2:23 PM, "Rocky Road Outfitters" wrote:

We were aware that Canada charges import fees/taxes. Not that it was so much though. :^(

GW
www.rocky-road.com

To: "Rocky Road Outfitters"
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 11:20 AM

Well the total costs in my garage has risen to $639.
I thought your shipping costs of $118.99 is all in shipping & handling for two steel rails.
The UPS shipper is now expecting another $118.40 on delivery for brokerage fees on a simple order of two steel rails.
Overall your product price is fine at $399 yet the added $237 is unreasonable. How can these added costs be reduced from a total of $639 to something more reasonable?

On 2011-09-01, at 12:48 PM, "Rocky Road Outfitters" <[email protected]> wrote:
Not sure what you mean.
Did Canada charge some big fees on your side of the border?

GW
www.rocky-road.com

To: "Rocky Road Outfitters"
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:39 PM

Guys
The additional costs to Canada are out of touch.
Really do you think 118.99 shipping plus 118.80 UPS Brokerage is reasonable. Adding 237 onto a 399 item is over charging.
I hope that I love your rails for 639 all in for us Canadians.
How about looking at this total cost and give me a call.
Mike
xxx-xxx-xxxx
On 2011-08-14, at 9:04 PM, Rocky Road Outfitters wrote:
Hello,
Thank you for your order with Rocky Road Outfitters. Below are your order details.
Order Number:
Order Date: 2011-08-14 21:07:51
----------------------------
PAYMENT INFORMATION
BILLING INFORMATION
SHIPPING INFORMATION
State: ON
Special Instructions: 2008 Jeep Commander Rock Sliders
ITEMS:
1 - 399.00 - JP1080S - CommS

·
Registered
58 Posts
This has nothing to do with Rocky Road Outfitters or Canada. The bad guy here is UPS. UPS operates his own broker scam and the major part of fees go to UPS shareholder, not Canada Custom. Rocky Road can't be held responsible for fees they do not control, can't predict and doesn't touch...

I thought that everybody in Canada knew about these scamers...
When you buy from the States, request shipping via faithfull USPS or JUST DON'T BUY !

WITH USPS/Post Canada, you may be charged some at custom but you will never be scammed like you were with UPS or others like Federal Express , etc.

Dominik, Montreal

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shipping Method controlled by Rocky Road

This has nothing to do with Rocky Road Outfitters or Canada. The bad guy here is UPS. UPS operates his own broker scam and the major part of fees go to UPS shareholder, not Canada Custom. Rocky Road can't be held responsible for fees they do not control, can't predict and doesn't touch...

I thought that everybody in Canada knew about these scamers...
When you buy from the States, request shipping via faithfull USPS or JUST DON'T BUY !

WITH USPS/Post Canada, you may be charged some at custom but you will never be scammed like you were with UPS or others like Federal Express , etc.

Dominik, Montreal

Yes UPS is an expensive way to ship over the border but I can only choose what is offered by Rocky Road the supplier. My point to them is they have chosen UPS which adds. 60% or $240 to my $399 order for shipping and handling.

This is mauling Canadian customers and know this total cost I would have looked to other options. Rocky Road should note this and look to use US POSTAL I agree to keep their customers costs down but they shrug and frown without calling to discuss.

·
Registered
392 Posts
In my experience and opinion RR has terrible customer service but their products are top notch. Maybe they think their products alone will keep them afloat. A simple phone call or email informing you of the added cost would have been the least they could do for a customer spending so much money and maybe wanting to spend more in the future.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I work for a courier and the extra charges you are being charged are for duty, taxes and a ups fee, so the taxes are $52 of the $118 duty is about $50 and the $16 is ups's fee, the $102 is the canadian gov and you would be paying these fees if you bought this item in canada the duty would be added to the price and the taxes after.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cross border shopping can be expensive

All in All I like product and will be installing the Rock Sliders this weekend.

I simply agree with other members that the supplier should have the knowledge and interest to keep extra costs low for their customers. My Rock Rails were over weight for USPS so I would make a left and right side shipment or have an Ontario distribution network. I don't think Rocky Road can afford to just accept hitting customers with an added 60% to thier product cost. I don't recommend suppliers who don't have their customers interests in mind and provide customer service.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cost creep from details from $399 to $640

Ok I just got the latest cost details from UPS

Original Rocky Road Rock Sliders $399
Rocky Road shipping UPS $118 only option due to weight
CC bill was $517

Later charged another $118 by UPS Brokerage as follows
Taxes and duty $54 plus brokerage service fee of $64

All in All my sweet $399 Rock Rails bounced up to $640 so buy local or visit the states to remove all the shipping charges.

End of the story as buyer beware of added charges when online. :yikes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
ask for usps instead! thats what i do! a canada post guy told me once its a 1 out of 10 package goes into checking the rest goes with no charge and when your package is the chosen one they only charge one tax on the value of the content.
ups always charge a brokerage fee and you still pay the same tax as usps but every package goes tru brokerage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts