Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even before my lift, I got a little bit of strut noise on washboard roads. It was a mild clunking from the front. At first I thought it was a torn bushing, but I inspected and everything is good, solid and smooth.
Now that I've lifted the Commander, I'm sure the dealership won't warranty the struts (nor would I expect them to).

Question is: Does anybody have any recommendations for new front/rear shocks? I have the 2" RoughCountry lift which is similar to the Rocky Road. I don't do a huge amount of offroading, but I am looking for something to stiffen the ride a shade and provide a little more control.

Thanks Gents

Ian

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Even before my lift, I got a little bit of strut noise on washboard roads. It was a mild clunking from the front. At first I thought it was a torn bushing, but I inspected and everything is good, solid and smooth.
Now that I've lifted the Commander, I'm sure the dealership won't warranty the struts (nor would I expect them to).

Question is: Does anybody have any recommendations for new front/rear shocks? I have the 2" RoughCountry lift which is similar to the Rocky Road. I don't do a huge amount of offroading, but I am looking for something to stiffen the ride a shade and provide a little more control.

Thanks Gents

Ian
Are you sure it was the front struts and not the sway bar end links making the clunking noise. I know a few others had a clunking noise from up from and thats what the dealer replaced and the noise went away.
As for the shocks, id replace both front and rear with Bilstein shocks/struts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be the end links, but I did check everything when I did the lift a few weeks ago. All the bushings and joints were nice and solid.

What kind of price range are the Blitsens?

With the spacers in the rear, should I go for a longer rear shock?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You might want to PM GetLost4x4. He sells Billsteins and he knows the Commander well. He could recommend a good size and probably give you a good price. I don't know if shipping would negate the price or not.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Could be the end links, but I did check everything when I did the lift a few weeks ago. All the bushings and joints were nice and solid.

What kind of price range are the Blitsens?

With the spacers in the rear, should I go for a longer rear shock?
I'd get the same front struts that Phunkeydude has on his commander and the same rear shocks that GetLost4x4 has on his. I think GetLost has them on his website. At least I know he has the rear ones listed. If I recall correctly they are the 10 inch travel ones for a 2 inch lift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts