Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered the RC 2 inch lift today, now does anyone have the part number for the right size bilstein 5125 shock? is the 33-230344 (15.9 to 25.9) the right one for the rear, with 2 inch lift? What about front? thanks in advance......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
talked to bilstein, they recommend 33-185552, yet they have nothing that will match/fit up front. anyone have any sugestions for front? to match 5125 Series 10" travel (col 15.91" ext 25.93") valving 255/70......? something to match that travel with 360/80 valving?

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you want bilsteins up front, They offer their adjustable strut. It uses the factory coil, with an adjustable perch which compresses the spring. Heres the part number. They adjust from .75 to two inches of lift.. In this case, you would not use the front part of the lift.. Only the rear spacers. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16070_1042.htm

BILSTEIN Front 5100 Series "Ride Height Adjustable" Strut
For 05-10 Jeep® Grand Cherokee WK & Commander XK
Quadratec Part No: 16070.1042
Manufacturer Part No: 24-225793

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
33-104652 if you're looking to maximize travel
Matt that's the part number that I'm running with my rear Superlift springs. I don't think I have maxed out the travel yet and I don't have my rear sway bar on. I think he would be better off with the part number Bilstein gave him as he only has the RC lift (33-185552)

talked to bilstein, they recommend 33-185552, yet they have nothing that will match/fit up front. anyone have any sugestions for front? to match 5125 Series 10" travel (col 15.91" ext 25.93") valving 255/70......? something to match that travel with 360/80 valving?

Old Man Emu struts would work or Bilstein also has a strut

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you want bilsteins up front, They offer their adjustable strut. It uses the factory coil, with an adjustable perch which compresses the spring. Heres the part number. They adjust from .75 to two inches of lift.. In this case, you would not use the front part of the lift.. Only the rear spacers. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16070_1042.htm

BILSTEIN Front 5100 Series "Ride Height Adjustable" Strut
For 05-10 Jeep® Grand Cherokee WK & Commander XK
Quadratec Part No: 16070.1042
Manufacturer Part No: 24-225793
Good luck getting these. They have been back ordered forever!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The length of the shocks bilstein recommended will limit travel even with the RC lift. I ran 28" shocks with my spacer lift, OME lift amd now SL springs. If he's not lookin to flex it out offroad then yeah the 26" shocks are fine. But for maximum travel offroad, 28-28.5 is where you want to be (and 31 for the SL)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anyone have a part number for the Old Man Emu struts that would work? going to keep a looking......thanks guys

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, talked to OME they "think" N188S is it. He is calling down under to find out for sure........he said he "thinks" its 1.5 inches longer than stock.......

If anyone has any imput........please and thank you......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matt that's the part number that I'm running with my rear Superlift springs. I don't think I have maxed out the travel yet and I don't have my rear sway bar on. I think he would be better off with the part number Bilstein gave him as he only has the RC lift (33-185552)

Old Man Emu struts would work or Bilstein also has a strut

I talked to ARB/OME today again, they are telling me the strut N188S only is 20.75 extended. The stock struts are 24.25 extended are they not? Im not sure if we are comparing apples to apples with the measurements....Im lost.... I need a quality strut to work with OEM springs that has 2 inches more travel than OEM strut for RC 2 inch lift :SM030::SM030:I cant wait for the Bilstein ones........have to get this done next week.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Why would you need a longer strut? I thought the rc lift was just a perch that went in between the coil mount, and the strut housing on the chassis. If anything, a shorter strut would keep you from over flexing the front end, assuming you did not get the longer JBA upper control arms.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did get the new upper control arms, and the part number N188s is the right one for the ome struts, just found out.......

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The length of the shocks bilstein recommended will limit travel even with the RC lift. I ran 28" shocks with my spacer lift, OME lift amd now SL springs. If he's not lookin to flex it out offroad then yeah the 26" shocks are fine. But for maximum travel offroad, 28-28.5 is where you want to be (and 31 for the SL)
Well I totally flexed my jeep out and those shocks weren't maxed out. Tire stayed planted on the ground and I have no sway bar. So how would a shock almost 3 inches longer be recommended for the Superlift?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I can max my 28.5" shocks out with the axle at full drop. After extending my brake lines I could probably go a bit further (I have to jack my axle up a bit to reconnect my shock). Either your shocks are longer than advertised or you are maxing them out and dont realize it. You have to compress your shocks to install them??

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I can max my 28.5" shocks out with the axle at full drop. After extending my brake lines I could probably go a bit further (I have to jack my axle up a bit to reconnect my shock). Either your shocks are longer than advertised or you are maxing them out and dont realize it. You have to compress your shocks to install them??
Yes, I had to compress the rear shocks to install them. It was kind of a pain in the butt doing it myself too. I never measured them before install but either way they work perfect for my setup. Remember I don't have a rear sway bar and I extended my brake lines too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts