Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing my Commander is bouncing around a lot when driving thru the streets in my neighborhood. The streets aren't perfect here, but not bad enough to cause the bouncing that's happening. I also noticed the front shocks look like fluid is / has leaked out of them. And as far as I know the shocks have never been replaced. So, I figured I'd look into working w/ my brother to replace all 4 of the shocks over the next few weeks or so.

I have a family member that works at Auto Zone and I can get a 20% discount on parts there. So I've mostly been looking on the Auto Zone site for options. Figured I'd also check here to get some opinions on brands & pricing for stock shocks since I've never bought shocks before. I did search the site, but most of the posts were about lifted Commanders and shocks and I'm just needing stock shocks. This is a daily driver and never goes off road.

I'm thinking I'd get a set of "quick struts" (even though they're shocks) in the front to avoid having to deal w/ using additional tools to compress, remove and replace the shocks in them. The options I find at Auto Zone are listed below. Any suggestions for front and rear socks from those listed?? I'm thinking the L & R Duralast Strut Assembly and 2 Duralast Twin Tube Shock Absorbers for $374 - 20%. So right around $300 out the door!! But again, I dont know the first thing about brands, etc.

Any suggestions, opinions or other places to look??

Thanks in advance.

Front
Duralast Loaded Strut Assembly LS53-90201L - $152 (will need a L & R)
Sensen Shocks & Struts Loaded Strut Assembly 92140147 - $196 (will need a L & R)

Rear
Gabriel Ultra Shock Absorber G64012 - $38 x 2
Duralast TwinTube Shock Absorber TS34-31992B - $35 x 2
KYB Excel-G Shock Absorber 349230 - $57 x 2
Rancho RS5000 Shock Absorber RS5398 - $83 x 2
Bilstein B6 4600 Shock Absorber 24186803 - $77 x 2

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bilstein B6 4600 front shock absorbers (Part # 24-186797) are a direct replacement for the factory shocks. I have them in the front but you could run them in the rear too, if you have no plans on installing a lift.
Yep, no plans for a lift. Maybe a spacer / leveling kit while swapping the front shocks, but no lift. I looked up the Blistein's and found these. But I'd like to get the fronts as "quick struts so I don't need to remove the old shocks from the springs and reinstall the new ones in the springs. Trying to make things a bit quicker / easier on the day of the install and I'm also pretty sure we don't have the tools to swap them in and out of the springs.

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
Yep, no plans for a lift. Maybe a spacer / leveling kit while swapping the front shocks, but no lift. I looked up the Blistein's and found these. But I'd like to get the fronts as "quick struts so I don't need to remove the old shocks from the springs and reinstall the new ones in the springs. Trying to make things a bit quicker / easier on the day of the install and I'm also pretty sure we don't have the tools to swap them in and out of the springs.
Those are the ones.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is a bit of a Rabbit Hole here!! The more I search the more options I come across!!

I found these Detroit Axel brand. 2 front quick struts and 2 rear shocks for $197. 4 out of 5 stars w/ 57 reviews. Seems decent too. Will save me $100 from Auto Zone, but not sure on the brand / quality??

Edit: After looking into Detroit Axel a bit, I'm seeing a lot of bad info posted about the brand. I think I'll stay away from them. I'd rather pay a bit more for better quality!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to go with the Duralast Quick Struts for the front and also a set of Duralast shocks for the back from Auto Zone. I was pleasantly suprised that they had a 30% off 4th of July Sale for employees going on (instead of the normal 20% employee discount). So they rang up for $400 and with the discount I walked out paying $280!! Definitely helped the budget!!

Still trying to decide if I should install a set of these Rusty's Spacers as a leveling kit?? This would be the perfect time to do it since both front shocks will be out.

I'll post back with some pics when my brother and I get everything installed.

·
Administrator
15,246 Posts
@dar124 Sounds like you got a great deal!

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
I decided to go with the Duralast Quick Struts for the front and also a set of Duralast shocks for the back from Auto Zone. I was pleasantly suprised that they had a 30% off 4th of July Sale for employees going on (instead of the normal 20% employee discount). So they rang up for $400 and with the discount I walked out paying $280!! Definitely helped the budget!!

Still trying to decide if I should install a set of these Rusty's Spacers as a leveling kit?? This would be the perfect time to do it since both front shocks will be out.

I'll post back with some pics when my brother and I get everything installed.
Looking forward to seeing them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts