Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a Commander/5.7 etc loaded, but after doing research, I have noticed that there are problems with it, mainly the engine shutting off while driving. Does anybody have any suggestions? Please help really want one but scared to lose $44 thou................:confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have a 3.7 4x4 and love it. Some think the six is underpowered but we do not think so. If you want a v8 go with the 4.7. We owned a Durango with a Hemi and the engine gave us alot of problems. The best engine Chrysler makes is the 4.7. Good luck.:) :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would like to say that I have the 4.7L V-8 and it has plenty of power. If you are concerned about the Hemi then you should consider getting the smaller V-8. You'll get a little better gas mileage (although the difference is really minimal) and you'll save about $1500 up front. Alot of people on this forum are driving Hemi's and I have not read about anyone complaining about engine trouble of any kind.

As far as should you buy a commander or keep your liberty....

In my opinion, these limited Commander's are first class. My limited is as quiet as my 05 Mercedes C230 and has more bells and whistles. I have only owned my new Commander for a few days now but I absolutely love it. I live in KY and we get plenty of snow here, I cant wait to get out in it.

You should do some research on that initial purchase price as well. That
$44k sticker should only cost you about about $36-$37k after rebates.

Go for it, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
473 Posts
my step father has a 2003 durango with a 4.7 and it just blew a head gasket last week with 53000 miles on it.
he took it to the dealer and it is covered under warranty butthey have to order a short block from california.:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was in your position, I had a 2004 Jeep Liberty with 30k miles on it and it was running fine. However we wanted more room than the Liberty offered, a more refined vehicle, and more power under the hood. With the deals on the 2006 models out there (0% APR and 1k cash back) we purchased a fully loaded Jeep Commander (minus the rear dvd system) last week. Since they are really trying to push the 2006 vehicles off the lot we were able to get KBB value for the Liberty plus $7,000 off the MSRP.

So far both the wife and I love the Commander. We have had the Commander only one week so far so I can't comment on the quality of the engine long term. However we have already put 700 miles on it (long weekend in the mountains) and were getting 15.5 mpg which isn't bad considering we had 4 adults in the car with the ac on and had a lot of up-hill mountain roads to cover. I wouldn't have been able to do the same trip in the Liberty and enjoy it half as much there is that much of a difference in the way it drives.

The couple of flaws I have noticed with the 5.7 is that is it a bit 'jumpy' at low rpms and I personally don't like the sound of the engine at low rpms. I do love the 5.7's seemingly endless HP and the 'idea' of saving gas when it drops to the 4.

I hope that helps you. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Hemi has 8k miles without a single hiccup. The only time it shut off on me was when I had the seat way up and my knee bumped the key (supid location anyway) Keep in mind you're getting QDII as well, which on the sand in Nags Head, has proved to be amazing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
my 2006 has the 5.7 and I have not had any issues at all. The more miles it gets the smoother and stronger it runs. It is the best highway SUV i have driven. That list includes Suburbans, Tahoes,Expeditions,HummerH2, and Excursions. Would not trade my Commander for any of them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Have the hemi and not one problem here and in fact it seems to run better the more miles I put on it although I only have 2700 miles on the truck so far.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just keep in mind plumber17. That all the posts you read here are only a fraction of the CMDR owners in the world. A lot do have the same issues, but more don't.

·
Registered
170 Posts
19k miles in 10 months and no problems with my Hemi.
The Commander Limited is an extremely good value when compared to other vehicles in its clas..and some in the class above it. We were 99% set on a Land Rover LR3 untill we drove the Commander limited. The Commander has more power, and more features and is better equiped AND less money than the LR3. Like I said...great bang for the buck for what you get.

IMHO, the Commander should only be available with the Hemi. Anything less is dissapointing.
Overall its an excellent vehicle.....................
and the Hemi rocks!:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Plumber17,
Since you are looking at a loaded Limited and have a risk aversion after reading about 'sudden deceleration'... AND understanding that no vehicle is perfect(I was test driving a new 3 series BMW and it just died on me...talk about sudden deceleration... not to mention ego deflation), a 4Runner 'might' be a lower risk, as far as 'sudden deceleration' is concerned. Depends on your wants/needs and comfort zone.

Our 4.7 XK, other than the factory installing some coolant hoses incorrectly, the left front fender coming loose, the cowl wind noise that developed, and my knee causing an instance of 'sudden deceleration', has been a joy for 2K miles. So far it's been worth the risks we read about, real or perceived, and minor inconveniences. The XK is quite a step up in space, power, quiet, safety, style and overall comfort compared to the old Liberties. We also think it is more comfortable than a 4Runner. But that's just my wife and I.

You might want to ask yourself: Why do I 'really want' an XK? Consider finances(bottom line:it's your hard earned money...what else could you do with it? what other toys could you buy) and potential frustration. If you like your Liberty, it is fun and has proven dependable, and you are uncomfortable with what you have read about the XKs 'dying' and sitting in service depts., what makes an XK worth the risk?

·
Registered
57 Posts
In December traded in my Wife's 2002 Liberty on a 2006 Commander Limited with Hemi...loaded. My opinion...Go for the Hemi. I have had no problems with the engine, or the vehicle. I just bought a Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie with Hemi...Now my wife has taken over the Commander. Both are great vehicles. Both are Light Khaki...only the windows get dirty...:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am a Jeep Tech and really have not seen a lot of problems with the XK. They have a few, but the vast majority of owners have few or no issues. Another option you might consider is an 08 Liberty, looks like it will be a baby Commander and should move pretty good with the 4.0 V6. You could test drive a Nitro right now to get a taste, but I have not seen any of those with the 4.0 engine yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts