Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking at several options to replace my 2003 Land Rover Disco HSE. I’ve owned 2 Discovery’s since new. Love them. Yes, they’ve had their share of annoying problems – but nothing like the staling issue or other safety hazards I’ve been reading about re: the commander. (Threads on this forum and other sources)

I was ready to get a new LR3 then the commander attracted me due to its lifetime driveline warranty, size, 4wd capability, improved mpg over the Rover, towing capacity and the fact that dealers are essentially giving them away. I’ve owned several new SUVs in my lifetime and currently own 3 jeeps (from newest to oldest = Wrangler, CJ5, and Willys Wagon) along with the Rover.

I initially thought the limited is what I’d go for… but I’m not a fan of chrome (except on my Harley). So I am looking at a sport, with U upgrade option, adding the 4.7, Quadra II w/skid plate package, and DVD so the kids have something to watch on long trips. I was ready to go to a dealer in another week or two and make a deal.

Now I’m not so sure.

I’d appreciate honest advice from you as owners. I remember the bad wrap the CJ5 got back in the late 70’s early 80’s for rolling over (eventually contributed to the demise of the CJ5). I’ve owned my 5 for over 20 years and wouldn’t give it up for anything. But if someone asked me if they were roll over prone, I’d say yes, and if that worried them – don’t buy one.

Thanks in advance for your open/honest advice. After getting excited to purchase a Commander, I was really discouraged to hear about the staling problem. That’s what has prompted me to submit this post.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We love our Commander and our daughter just purchased her first car and it was a Commander. We both have 4.7's and love the engine. We haven't had any problems thus far and are hoping she has the same good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have an 06 XK limited. The chrome has grown on me. For the price I got it for I was not too picky about color. I think the stalling problems are some OE (operator error) and some other causes, but I personally have never experienced this issue. I love the capacity of the commander for carrying people and the overall utility of the vehicle. This vehicle is just at home going out for the evening to a fine restaraunt as it is on the trail. If you are used to the quirky-ness of the LR vehicles you will be happy with the Commander. I picked my XK over the new LR3.

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
classicjeep said:
I initially thought the limited is what I’d go for… but I’m not a fan of chrome (except on my Harley). So I am looking at a sport, with U upgrade option, adding the 4.7, Quadra II w/skid plate package, and DVD so the kids have something to watch on long trips. I was ready to go to a dealer in another week or two and make a deal.
I think a lot of the problems you are reading about here have been worked out by now(2008 MY). Not sure about the stalling though. But like the others said the problems are relatively rare compared to the # of Commanders on the road.
I LOVE my Limited and HEMI. If you don't like the chrome there is usually someone on here that wants it and will swap with you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the posts so far…

The safety issues I reference are really related to the stalling issue. Stalling is one thing, but stalling at speed and/or in traffic presents a host of safety concerns. Couple other safety issues I’ve come across are some issues with the 3rd row seat belts (can’t remember details) but Jeep has a fix for that. And read something from one owner re: a faulty airbag. That seemed like a 1 and a million issue.

Forgot to mention in my initial post… I rented a commander for a 500 mile trip this past summer. I was impressed with the ride. Loaded with 6 people too.

I really like this rig.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I say go for it. Every vehicle has its problems but as everyone else says most these issues are few and far between. I have the first model year 06 Commander and have only had minor problems that a warrantied afternoon in the shop fixed. The cost of a commander with rebate vs LR3 should be a no-brainer. I love my commander and will buy another when I drive this one into the ground.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've just had my 07 Commander with the Hemi for little over 3wks and love it. For it toughness and safety features. My ins dropped $600 when I added it to my ins over my 04 Ram which I guess showed that the Ram wasnt as safe as I thought it was. SO if the ins also knows that these commanders are designed to go off road but also to have many safety features. As far as the 4.7 engine I wouldn't go with it. I've had one before in my 02 Ram and wasn't that good for power compared to my Hemi Ram, but as far as a good engine yes its great for that but no better gas mileage either over the HEMI engine. Im in a 08 Flexfuel Dakota with the 4.7 and it got good power but still is terrible gas mileage, sure its 50cents cheaper at the pump but doesnt last long. I would choose the HEMI over the 4.7 in a heart beat. SO get your self one and have some fun.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The "stalling problem" is realized by a very minute percentage of Commanders. I would not let a problem that doesn't exist in 99.9% of the Commanders persuade you from buying this vehicle.

Bottom line, if you like it I would recommend buying one.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
All vehicles have thier issues, but all things considered you cannot go wrong with the Commander. I have had mine for a little over one year with no problems of any kind except for minor safety recalls to make sure everything was working the way it was intended too.

·
Registered
437 Posts
mine has never stalled. Wasn't that a problem relating to the ignition key? The 08's don't even use a real key anymore.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have an 06 Ltd w/Hemi and have never had a stalling problem. The only problem I have had was with the passenger window (easy fix). My sixth Jeep and I love it. Best riding highway vehicle I have owned except for a Jaguar I had years ago. I highly recommend this vehicle.

·
Registered
512 Posts
We love our Commander, runs and drives great! Built like a tank, we feel very safe in it. During my trip to NC last month, I was very impressed with the highway handling around big trucks.. the air around the big rigs just didnt seem to bother it all that much. Go buy one!-43:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you plan on leaving it stock, the LR3 with the HD package is a more capable vehicle. (Actually, I'd be driving one if the sales manager would have returned any of the three messages I left for him. I was primed and ready to buy. I can't believe he's doing that well to pass up a customer willing to call him three times.)

If you like to modify your veh with a mild lift and tires, go with the Commander.

I'm not a chrome type of guy either, but I would go with the Limited or the Overland simply for the QDII and the Hemi.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Go for it! I've had mine a year and LOVE it! I think most of the weird stalling issues were resolved for various reasons. You are definatly in the right place to do your research.
Hey, if you have any problems we are here to help!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Buy!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I love mine - very few problems, and I've driven it 40,000 miles in the last year.

As for the stalling, mine has done it three times. Every time, we had bumped it with a knee. My husband is 6'6" and teen is 6'5", so it's harder for them to avoid, but I think they've got that figured out now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts