Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a "new to me" 2010 commander V6, 3.7L engine with 51k miles. The dealership I got it from put new 5w-30 conventional oil in. Can I drive this for awhile and be okay? or should I just switch it to the recommended 5w-20 synthetic? What are your thoughts on this?

·
1,993 Posts
Just picked up a "new to me" 2010 commander with 51k miles. The dealership I got it from put new 5w-30 conventional oil in. Can I drive this for awhile and be okay? or should I just switch it to the recommended 5w-20 synthetic? What are your thoughts on this?
If you have the 5.7L you need to change the oil from everything I read.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I would go with whatever is listed I n the owner's manual. If 5W-20 is required, go with that. If other weights are OK, no worries; but I wouldnt go with tribal knowledge on this, it's too important. Go by the book.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Just picked up a "new to me" 2010 commander V6, 3.7L engine with 51k miles. The dealership I got it from put new 5w-30 conventional oil in. Can I drive this for awhile and be okay? or should I just switch it to the recommended 5w-20 synthetic? What are your thoughts on this?
Take it back and make them put the correct oil in it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Check your manual. I thought only the 5.7L required 5w-20.

·
Registered
172 Posts
the 5.7 requires 5w-20 for proper MDS operation. Doubt the 3.7 and the 4.7 absolutely must have it. More likely than not, its only recommended to achieve slightly higher MPGs. Check the chart in the manual. Chances are 5w-30 is ok to use. Having said that tho, if the truck is under any kind of warranty (including service contract), i'd have the oil changed to whatever is stated in the OM.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Where are you located, and what have the morning temps you start the vehicle been at?

The Hemi states you "have" to use 5w-20 so the MDS will work correctly.

I'll have to look at my O.M. again, I know it recommends 5W-20 for my 3.7L, but I don't remember it saying it has to be synthetic or synthetic blend.

The 3.7L w/5W-30, hmmmm, I put an oil pressure gauge in my Commander, so I would be ok with it since I can monitor the oil pressures. But the only difference big enough to matter, I can imagine between 5W-20 and 5W-30 is warming up the engine, the oil might NOT circulate as quickly so take it easy on the motor until it warms up. If you're starting the car in sub-zero temps, I wouldn't risk it and change it to the recommended viscosity.

Yes, I know the 1st number is the cold viscosity and they are the same, BUT, if you look up the actual numbers, curves and experiment with the two, you will find the 5W-30 is thicker in just about all conditions than the 5W-20, especially as you go above 0°F.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts